AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am in the 2500 price range right now (not afraid to buy online to save on tax). I can go a little higher but I also want to have left over cash for a stand.

Anyway I am looking for a larger screen (58 or larger). This tv will be in a room that is pretty bright during the day. Most of the tv watching will be FIOS HDTV and Blu-ray. This will replace my older 57 Toshiba CRT RPTV.

If you got a recommendation let me know!

·
Vendor
32,473 Posts
-Samsung PN63B550 ( Best Value overall, especially when a Pioneer KRP-600M will not work )

-Pioneer KRP-600M Monitor ( no speaker, tuner, or stand included.)

-Samsung PN58B860, or Panasonic TC-P58V10 (tied, when the panasonic comes out in the next few days, weeks )

This is the order I would pick at this point.

·
Registered
489 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16968255

-Samsung PN63B550 ( Best Value overall, especially when a Pioneer KRP-600M will not work )

-Samsung PN58B860, or Panasonic TC-P58V10 (tied, when the panasonic comes out in the next few days, weeks )

Ahhhh hey Chris, don't you sell the KRP600m for $3K?? Or do you mean the 500m. I haven't seen a 600m at $2500 anywhere.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
i'll vote 58B560. i got mine from Chris for less than $2500 shipped to my door.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I really like the Samsung PN58B650.

However, someone pointed me to the Mitsubishi DLP's which have very large screens for a good price and they really have me thinking hard. Any reason not to get one of these (we don't plan on wall mounting).

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Agree. Some screens are so big that off-axis room seating isn't that big of an issue but a lot depends on the room size and layout itself. Definite sweet spot viewing though combined with the bulb cost ... was a big turn-off for me.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16969734

Rear projection use bulbs, bulbs burn out every 3000-6000 hours and cost about $200 each. Viewing angles are poor.

Chris is a great asset to this forum, but I have to disagree here. The newer DLP bulbs are $99 - straight from Mitsubishi themselves. Yes, you still have to replace them, but you could by a lot of bulbs for the price difference between the DLP and a Plasma. The viewing angle on my new DLP is pretty good as well, much better than my previous one was.

I have 4 large HDTVs in my house. 2 Plasmas, 1 LCD and 1 DLP. I'll say this, for the money, the DLP is great and have come a long way in the last few years (as have the others). If you aren't looking for something slim, and want large on a budget, I really recommend you check out the DLP picture of the newer sets.

With all that said (and the fact that this is the Plasma forum), I'm about to purchase another Plasma. I've basically decided that (for me) for 60" and up the DLP value is still really hard to fight against. For under 60" I'm sticking with Plasma.

·
Vendor
32,473 Posts
Replacement bulbs are down that low? Even so depending how much a set is on, this can be a factor. There are people who leave there sets on 24-7
That is 1-2 bulbs per year. Bulbs would kill that person in a short time.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For some people that would be a major issue (bulbs) but for others its not that big of deal. I am guessing my usage would mean a replacement bulb every 2-3 years. So for me that is not a huge killer.

I just wish I could know how well these tv's looked in my room. Currently I have a old Toshiba 57hdx82 that looks awesome at night, but during the day the glare on the screen makes it almost unwatchable (is that a word?).

The wife saw the Mitsubishi 73 yesterday and loved how its so much much smaller then the Toshiba we have now.

This is a tough one for me. I love the huge screen the Mitsubishi had, but when viewing it at Fry's the image looked really soft when compared to the Samsung Plasma. It also seemed less colorful (vibrance is the word that comes to mind).

·
Registered
3,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 /forum/post/16970139

I just wish I could know how well these tv's looked in my room. Currently I have a old Toshiba 57hdx82 that looks awesome at night, but during the day the glare on the screen makes it almost unwatchable (is that a word?).

Two easy, free things you can do to improve that display: remove the front screen assembly (it's easy) and wipe the dust off the lenses, and then omit the protective, reflective acrylic plastic sheet when you remount the screen assembly (unless you have kids or big pets).
Quote:
The wife saw the Mitsubishi 73 yesterday and loved how its so much much smaller then the Toshiba we have now.

I think the wife just did you a big favor, as few women would bless a 73-inch display in their homes.
Quote:
This is a tough one for me. I love the huge screen the Mitsubishi had, but when viewing it at Fry's the image looked really soft when compared to the Samsung Plasma. It also seemed less colorful (vibrance is the word that comes to mind).

Unless you're sitting closer than ten feet, I would go for it over any of the smaller displays which will, for all of their attributes, not deliver the immersive experience of that 73-incher.

Smaller displays will almost always look "sharper/more vibrant" than the larger ones when viewed up close -- the "JumboTrons" are an extreme case in point. But past ten feet viewing distance, size really does matter.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
I have 15800 hours on my Plasma after 4 years. First year was probably inordinately high as I was used to 24/7 or something similar with the previous CRTs. Starting changing my habits and using the Sleep timer at night and the average has dropped to 10.75 hrs/day.

Back in '05 though, Samsung or Mitsu DLP (which was my first choice at the time) bulb replacements were off the charts. Narrow room made it a natural but off-axis to other rooms like the kitchen ruled it out completely. I find both rear and front projection much more suited to dedicated HT and not multi-use. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma /forum/post/16968255

Interesting from someone who knows sees these things(plasma)everyday.

thanks

·
Registered
899 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natas777 /forum/post/16970139

I think this may strictly be a size issue. After all, there's a huge jump btw 58" to 73" and 73" will always look softer - especially if the feed at Frys was not HD or was a crappy over compressed HD signal.

My friend has a 73" Mitsubishi DLP at a viewing distance of 8'. Sure it is not as super crisp as a plasma or LCD. However, the size impact cannot be ignored. It is a much more immersive experience - one that made me consider even going for the 82" DLP before I decided to just get a 60" plasma.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts