AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

I have an LG B9 OLED TV that I also use as a PC monitor. On the desktop I set the fixed frequency to 60Hz.
I use madVR with Mediaportal and MPC-HC. While playing a movie at 50 FPS, in the madVR OSD I display:

display 50.000 HZ
composition rate 50,000 Hz
movie 25,000 fps

It's correct?

In madVR's "display modes" I set 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25 and 2160p50.

I add that if I remove 2160p50 from madVR "display modes" it happens that:
  • MPC-HC perfectly reads videos at 25 fps. In madVR OSD you can see: Display 25.000 , composition rate 25,000 Hz, movie 25,000 fps;
  • Mediaportal, on the other hand, cannot play videos at 25 fps: The display and composition rate freeze at 60 Hz and the video is not playable (only audio is heard). No problem with standard video playback at 23.976 Hz.

So to sum it all up, if I remove 2160p50 display modes only MPC-HC reads video correctly at 25 fps.
If I add 2160p50 to the "Display modes" both players (MPC-HC and Mediaportal) read the videos at 25 fps but with a frequency of 50 hz. No problem with playing "standard" video at 23.976 Hz.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts
Hello guys,

I have an LG B9 OLED TV that I also use as a PC monitor. On the desktop I set the fixed frequency to 60Hz.
I use madVR with Mediaportal and MPC-HC. While playing a movie at 50 FPS, in the madVR OSD I display:

display 50.000 HZ
composition rate 50,000 Hz
movie 25,000 fps

It's correct?

In madVR's "display modes" I set 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p25 and 2160p50.

I add that if I remove 2160p50 from madVR "display modes" it happens that:
  • MPC-HC perfectly reads videos at 25 fps. In madVR OSD you can see: Display 25.000 , composition rate 25,000 Hz, movie 25,000 fps;
  • Mediaportal, on the other hand, cannot play videos at 25 fps: The display and composition rate freeze at 60 Hz and the video is not playable (only audio is heard). No problem with standard video playback at 23.976 Hz.
So to sum it all up, if I remove 2160p50 display modes only MPC-HC reads video correctly at 25 fps.
If I add 2160p50 to the "Display modes" both players (MPC-HC and Mediaportal) read the videos at 25 fps but with a frequency of 50 hz. No problem with playing "standard" video at 23.976 Hz.
You can remove 2160p25 actually. 50fps is fine it still only renders at 25 fps rate so it's no additional load on CPU / GPU. As you can see you are not dropping any frames and you are only repeating a frame once every 6.47 hours so no problem there either.

You might want to include 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p60 (for 30/60 content).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your suggestions.

I've included 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p60 values in madVR's "display modes".

If I had to lower the "rendering" time a little (in some videos, I am at the limit) on which parameter of madVR should I act?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Gday

MPC-HC is pretty much dead, use a supported fork like MPC-BE as youll get various bugs using software from dead projects. Nothings static in video, things change across the whole stack, the operating system, the drivers etcetc

MadVR should switch to 25FPS no problem, youve either got an old version of MadVR, driver issue or wrong settings preventing the 25FPS switch by the renderer. You dont have to be fullscreen either to have MadVR change refresh rates.

As too how to reduce render times, well you dont share your settings. I can see NGU very high for chroma upscaling from your screenshot so lol dude, youve maxed it and your asking how to reduce it? Seems to me you know how to apply settings so go for it :)

cheers

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello
MPV-HC is constantly updated because the download from here:

I use the latest version of madVR, version 0.92.17.

The settings I copied .. 😀I'm not an expert. I copied a settings.bin file into the madVR folder. but you need to give some customization ..

If I knew the answer to my question, I didn't waste time writing :p;):)

·
Registered
2,364 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
VBB, thank you very much

In fact I always have MPC-HC updated!

I believe this site:

get the MPC-HC updates from the site you posted

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ok so in MadVR, the complexity of the algorithm is listed in rough order in the config GUI. NGU is last in the config order of the GUI as it tends to be the most expensive with resources, NGU will use allot more resources than say Bicubic, Billinear or DXVA2. Its up to you to experiment around as each PC system is different. For Chroma, I tend to use NGU sharp low with SuperRes, I tend to emphasise Luma with say NGU Sharp High or NGU Sharp Medium, then do SuperRes as scaling enhancements. The human eye favours luma over chroma. Im a big fan of using just NGU and SuperRes, though allot is subjective with scaling and post processing

For really complex sources like 12 bit HEVC 60 FPS rec 2020 I just run straight DXVA2

I use profiles in MadVR

With your system not switching for 25FPS content, itll be some sort of configuration or driver problem, given your running the latest version of MadVR

cheers

·
Registered
21 Posts
MPC-HC is indeed far from dead. See here: https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases
Thanks for that. The history had me a bit confused, cos if you look here:

MPC-HC is very much dead, its archived and no commits since 2018.

I was aware CLSID2 did a fork, but I note his language here on Doom9 when he discussed his intent:

"
About

Development of the original MPC-HC project has ended. The few other developers that were involved have all lost interest.

But don't worry, MPC-HC is still very much alive!

My repository is a fork of the original MPC-HC project. There development will continue.

I have been involved in MPC development for almost 15 years, even before MPC-HC existed, so consider my builds as the new 'official' releases.

Development state

MPC-HC does not have many active developers right now. So don't expect much new functionality or other big changes"

And then he goes on to say:

"No requests please. There are no developers right now. If you want something to get done, find somebody to do it and submit a patch."

Also when going here:

Right in plain front view is:

"MPC-HC is not under development since 2017. Please switch to something else."

Looking at the commits of his forked MPC-HC code base at:

I can see pretty regular updates.

So Im thankful and I might give a run of some nightly builds to compare against MPC-BE. Though I reckon all this forking and misleading stuff at Home · MPC-HC is gunna steer users into MPC-BE. Hopefully the wider ecosystem will make this more clear for everyone over time.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,067 Posts
Thanks for your suggestions.

I've included 2160p23, 2160p24, 2160p50, 2160p60 values in madVR's "display modes".

If I had to lower the "rendering" time a little (in some videos, I am at the limit) on which parameter of madVR should I act?
Your rendering time seemed fine in the above screen you outputted. But you could change NGU sharp very high to NGU Sharp high to lower rendering time with probably no noticeable loss in quality.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi markmon,

I am not referring to the video I posted in the first post. I have other videos that require my intervention because the render time is at the limit and the video card temperatures exceed 80 degrees. I usually try to never exceed 80 degrees. If this happens, I intervene and try to understand what to lower.

I understand that the first step to lower madVR parameters is to do what you said: change "NGU sharp very high" to "NGU Sharp high".

If this first step is not enough I have a second step: change
"NGU sharp high" to "NGU Sharp medium".

If this second step is still not enough, there is still a third step where I can intervene:
In "Scaling Algorithms" ----> "chroma upscaling" ----> "NGU SHARP" -----> "algorithm quality" -----> I have three settings: "luma doubling", " luma quadrupling "," chroma ". The most important is "luma doubling" which is best set to "high" or "very high". . The other two fields ("luma quadrupling", "chroma") can both be changed to "low" or "medium" or both set to "let madvr decide".

I think I've learned 😀😀 (thanks VBB (y)(y))

Reactions: VBB
1 - 11 of 11 Posts