AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to purchase a 26" HDTV to use in my bedroom with my Playstation 3. I had originally purchased a Samsung LN22A650 but returned it. The set was native 16:10, and the speakers sounded terrible.


I have decided to upgrade in size to a 26", and I think it is probably the biggest size that will suit my needs. My viewing distance will only be 2-4 feet. Can you guys recommend to me some decent 26" sets? As of right now the only set that I am really looking at is:

Sony Bravia M-Series KDL-26M4000 26-Inch 720p LCD HDTV
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegel /forum/post/15478052


Id recommend a 37 inch XBR. They can be had for 1200 all day!

I'm sure if he had wanted a larger TV, he would be seeking information on larger sizes. However, since he wants a 26" set, I think he should be given the information he wants. That being said, the Sony M is not one of their best models, but it may suit you just fine. However, since you don't particularly like Samsung, I'd also recommend taking a look at the top rated 26" TV according to Consumer Reports, the Panasonic TC-26LX85. There is a thread on this forum dedicated to that set and the TV gets very good reviews from readers as well as the aforementioned magazine. Good luck in your selection. Your money, your choice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15478214


I'm sure if he had wanted a larger TV, he would be seeking information on larger sizes. However, since he wants a 26" set, I think he should be given the information he wants. That being said, the Sony M is not one of their best models, but it may suit you just fine. However, since you don't particularly like Samsung, I'd also recommend taking a look at the top rated 26" TV according to Consumer Reports, the Panasonic TC-26LX85. There is a thread on this forum dedicated to that set and the TV gets very good reviews from readers as well as the aforementioned magazine. Good luck in your selection. Your money, your choice.


Thank you Jim, I was unaware of that set. I do not ever remember seeing it in Best Buy, Circuit City, or Target. Maybe I just overlooked it because I guess I never associated Panasonic as being a good TV manufacturer. I am almost sure that is me being ignorant. But I have always associated good HDTV's from Samsung and Sony.


It is not that I do not like Samsung... I think they are an excellent company, but I had a bad experience with them. If the Samsung LN26A450 is the best set to purchase, I would do so in a heartbeat.


With the Sony, I thought that the model M was better than there model L. From what I had read the M has the Bravia Engine 2 to help make the picture better. I am also actually kind of shocked at the difference in contrast ratio between the Sony 26" (2,500:1), compared to that Panasonic (10,000:1).


As far as that Panasonic goes would you say that is the best 26" HDTV to purchase to suit my needs? I am looking to use it with my Playstaion 3 to play games, watch Blu Ray's and DVD's. Also to watch Cable Television.


Thank you so much for all of your help. You're reply is the exact reason why I came to these boards. I am looking for people to open my mind with new information. That way I purchase the best television, and do not regret it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
From what you have stated, I think the Panasonic would fit your needs perfectly. Unfortunately, the 26" model is not available in any of the stores you mentioned; you would most likely have to order it on-line. However, Sears does carry the 32" & 37" models of the Panasonic, so if you have a store near you, stop in and see the excellent picture quality. As for ordering on-line, if you haven't done it before, it's very painless and very safe. Just Google Panasonic TC-26LX85 and you'll find a good number of vendors with excellent prices, many with free shipping. Again, good luck in your selection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
Check out NewEgg; I bought a Panaxonic 26LX85 from them and the service was excellent, it shipped in about 2 days and it arrived in perfect condition. I originally was a little apprehensive about buying a flat panel online, but the price was so good I decided to chance it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
I also recommend the Panasonic. If you want to see it before you buy, then you can just look at the 32" at a store. AFAIK, the 26LX85 and 32LX85 are exactly the same, other than size. Best Buy and Circuit City both sell the 32".

Quote:
Originally Posted by spops /forum/post/15482320


With the Sony, I thought that the model M was better than there model L. From what I had read the M has the Bravia Engine 2 to help make the picture better. I am also actually kind of shocked at the difference in contrast ratio between the Sony 26" (2,500:1), compared to that Panasonic (10,000:1).

Yeah, the M is better than the L. 2,500:1 is the static contrast ratio of the Sony. The Panasonic would be rated about the same. Dynamic contrast ratio is rated at 9,000:1 on the Sony and 10,000:1 on the Panasonic. I think blacks seem to be best on the Panasonic, but the difference is not dramatic. Frankly, you won't be blown away by the blacks on any of these TVs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15484042


I also recommend the Panasonic. If you want to see it before you buy, then you can just look at the 32" at a store. AFAIK, the 26LX85 and 32LX85 are exactly the same, other than size. Best Buy and Circuit City both sell the 32".



Yeah, the M is better than the L. 2,500:1 is the static contrast ratio of the Sony. The Panasonic would be rated about the same. Dynamic contrast ratio is rated at 9,000:1 on the Sony and 10,000:1 on the Panasonic. I think blacks seem to be best on the Panasonic, but the difference is not dramatic. Frankly, you won't be blown away by the blacks on any of these TVs.

What is the difference between Static Contrast and Dynamic Contrast?


On a side note, I am just curious to know how the Sony 26m rated in the consumer reports article. Was it even mentioned?


After learning about this Panasonic, now I have to decide between the Sony and the Panasonic. The Panasonic seems to get great all around reviews. The one thing I do see people complain about is a "Red Push". How drastic is it? Can it be fixed by just calibrating the TV with a DVE calibration disc? The Sony 26m has the advantage of being sold in stores so I have seen what it looks like. It also has a PC input something that I may or may not use. But the fact that it is there is nice.


I think I should probably make a Versus thread to gather more information. I am not trying to be a "Pain". I just want to make sure that I do all of my research before I drop $600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spops /forum/post/15485319


What is the difference between Static Contrast and Dynamic Contrast?


On a side note, I am just curious to know how the Sony 26m rated in the consumer reports article. Was it even mentioned?


After learning about this Panasonic, now I have to decide between the Sony and the Panasonic. The Panasonic seems to get great all around reviews. The one thing I do see people complain about is a "Red Push". How drastic is it? Can it be fixed by just calibrating the TV with a DVE calibration disc? The Sony 26m has the advantage of being sold in stores so I have seen what it looks like. It also has a PC input something that I may or may not use. But the fact that it is there is nice.


I think I should probably make a Versus thread to gather more information. I am not trying to be a "Pain". I just want to make sure that I do all of my research before I drop $600.

I can't answer your question about static contrast and dynamic contract. However, as for the Consumer Reports' rankings, the Sony Bravia KDL-26M400 finished third behind the Panasonic and the Insignia NS-LCD26-09.


The Panasonic earned a score of 75 and was rated above average in 6 of 7 categories and average in the 7th.


The Insignia earned a score of 69 and was rated above average in 5 of 7 categories, average in 1, and below average in 1.


The Sony earned a score of 67 and was rated above average in 3 of 7 categories and average in the other 4.


Also, the Panasonic has 3 HDMI inputs while the Insignia and the Sony have 2.


As for the red push that some have seen, it must not affect all sets and can be calibrated out if you check the various Panasonic threads. I certainly wouldn't consider it a deal breaker. But that's easy for me to say since I own a Samsung 46A650. Again, good luck. I hope you make the right choice for you, not for the members of this forum.


I do know, however, that when and if I am in the market for a 26" TV for the bedroom, it will more than likely be a Panasonic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spops /forum/post/15485319


What is the difference between Static Contrast and Dynamic Contrast?

Static is more significant, but manufacturers like to impress (and mislead) people with bigger numbers. It is sometimes easiest to compare LCDs by dynamic contrast ratio ratings, because some manufactures do not provide a static contrast ratio rating.

Quote:
On a side note, I am just curious to know how the Sony 26m rated in the consumer reports article. Was it even mentioned?

BoilerJim answered that for you. FWIW, there are also CNET reviews of the 32LX85 and 32M4000 (obviously very similar to the 26" equivalents). The Panasonic scored just slightly higher than the Sony.
http://reviews.cnet.com/best-32-inch-hdtvs/

Quote:
The one thing I do see people complain about is a "Red Push". How drastic is it? Can it be fixed by just calibrating the TV with a DVE calibration disc? The Sony 26m has the advantage of being sold in stores so I have seen what it looks like. It also has a PC input something that I may or may not use. But the fact that it is there is nice.

A lot of TVs have red push, unfortunately. On most TVs, including the Panasonic LCDs, it cannot actually be fixed with calibration. The only solution is to turn down saturation a little to make the oversaturated reds less objectionable. Some people alter tint or color temperature in attempt to neutralize red push, but I do not recommend doing that. You should just adjust saturation to the point that looks best to you.


VGA inputs are not very useful, IMO. My 32LX85 is connected to my PC by HDMI, and I believe that is how most people prefer to connect HDTVs to PCs. However, the Panasonic LCDs aren't great as monitors. I use mine as a secondary display, only for watching video. Panasonic didn't design these for PC use, and they don't have a PC mode like some TVs do (I'm pretty certain that the Sony and Samsung LCDs do). The problem is that text looks pretty bad on them when used with a PC. Also, I had a problem getting mine to work at the native resolution, so I have it at 720x1280. But they still work well for watching video from a PC over HDMI.


As I mentioned before, the Panasonic 26" and 32" should be virtually identical in appearance. They share the same specs and the same operating manual. So you could just look at the 32" if you want to know how the 26" looks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, so thanks to everyone's help it looks like I am going to purchase the Panasonic. I actually found it at a local electronics store for only $448. That is actually $100 less than the cheapest price I found online. The plus is that I get to look at it in person before I purchase it. I just have a few quick questions before I go ahead and purchase it (tomorrow).


Is this model discontinued?


In looking at the specs of the TV it says that it has "Game Mode". What exactly is that?


The specs say that it has digital audio output. But it says 1 (2 ch.) Does that mean it is only able to do stereo through the digital audio out?


And finally my last question. Depending on the price of the warranty, is it worth picking one up?


Thanks in advance for everyone's help. I really am blown away by how knowledgeable and helpful everyone has been.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,123 Posts
1. Yes, it seems to be discontinued. The 32" is already sold out at a lot of places. I believe all of the 2008 Panasonic LCDs have been discontinued.


2. Game Mode is nothing. It is just one of the five available picture modes, and inputs set to "game" will automatically use that picture mode.


3. I was disappointed when I saw that, but it's a mistake. The operating manual states that the optical out supports 5.1 channel audio when using the ATSC tuner. Anyway, I've already connected my 32LX85 to a receiver with 4.0 surround, and the surround is working.


4. No.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Where are you? What store had it for $448?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsman_ba /forum/post/15490766


Where are you? What store had it for $448?

I live in Florida. There is a company that has stores in Florida and Georgia:

http://www.brandsmart.com/default.vaspx


One final question about this television. Do I have to worry about anything with it as far as the new Digital TV thing that happens next month?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,242 Posts
No, all new TVs are digital, meaning that they have a built-in tuner that will let you receive over the air broadcasts using an external antenna. If you have cable and use a cable box, you can still use a new digital TV or an old analog one. Now, just sit back, enjoy your new Panasonic and quit worrying.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/15493994


No, all new TVs are digital, meaning that they have a built-in tuner that will let you receive over the air broadcasts using an external antenna. If you have cable and use a cable box, you can still use a new digital TV or an old analog one. Now, just sit back, enjoy your new Panasonic and quit worrying.

Will do, going to pick it up in about an hour or so. I will take some pictures once it is all setup and calibrated.


Thanks so much
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top