AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am in the market for a 26 inch LCD HDTV for my bedroom and am comparing the Sony model, Panasonic model, and Toshiba model. However, upon hearing about Sharp's upcoming 26" model, I have recently been searching for information regarding this new set and was wondering if you all have any information about it (i.e: definite release date, price, amazing features, etc.)

I have pretty much stripped Sharp's website and this message board bare and cannot find much information... hopefully someone can help out in some way. Thanks so much...

-higuy83 :D

· Registered
49 Posts
You should also check out the JVC - take a look at the current issue of the perfect vision - it has a number of these sets compared side by side (not all exactly 26", though)

· Registered
378 Posts
I have read in other posts that the current Sharp sets are considered to have slightly poorer scalers than the Sony & Panasonic sets. That was one of the reasons I bought the Panasonic TC-26LX20, even though the paper specs on the upcoming Sharp look better.

· Registered
5,027 Posts
According to what I read here, the new Sharp LC-26GD6U will have a CableCard tuner. However, a vendor who has it for pre-order, with no definate date, doesn't show CableCard, as a feature.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dsurkin
I have read in other posts that the current Sharp sets are considered to have slightly poorer scalers than the Sony & Panasonic sets. That was one of the reasons I bought the Panasonic TC-26LX20, even though the paper specs on the upcoming Sharp look better.
Pardon my naivete, but what is scaling?

Any other information? FWIW, I even called Sharp's 800 number today and the guy was trying to convince me that no 26" Aquos was ever announced or going to be released in the near future. He was a bit of a moron...

Thanks again.

· Registered
378 Posts
Scaling, as I understand it, is the conversion of SD broadcasts to the resolution of the LCD panel. A TV with poor scaling will show more artifacts in the display. Several months ago, I looked at the Gateway LCD TVs; their price was attractive. The showroom had most of them hooked up to DVDs, but one was hooked up to an antenna. It was obvious that the picture quality was terrible, and the sales person had no idea how to tweak the set for any improvements. That same day, I saw the 22" Panasonic, 22" Samsung and 23" Sony at a Circuit City (this was before the current crop of 26" models). It was obvious that they were far superior to the Gateway models.

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by dsurkin
Scaling, as I understand it, is the conversion of SD broadcasts to the resolution of the LCD panel. A TV with poor scaling will show more artifacts in the display. Several months ago, I looked at the Gateway LCD TVs; their price was attractive. The showroom had most of them hooked up to DVDs, but one was hooked up to an antenna. It was obvious that the picture quality was terrible, and the sales person had no idea how to tweak the set for any improvements. That same day, I saw the 22" Panasonic, 22" Samsung and 23" Sony at a Circuit City (this was before the current crop of 26" models). It was obvious that they were far superior to the Gateway models.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks for your explanation.

-higuy83 :D

· Registered
1,979 Posts
Are there any fast (16m or less) 26" LCDs at WUXGA resolution (1920x1080) or better? I just got a 23" version (HP L2335).

· Registered
72 Posts
Quote:
Are there any fast (16m or less) 26" LCDs at WUXGA resolution (1920x1080) or better?
I'm also very interested in a slightly larger 1920x1080. Haven't heard anything apart from the 24" and 23"s that are worked over in that monster thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.