AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a 4:3 27†HDTV to use with my HTPC (basically as a large computer monitor).

A VGA or DVI input would be ideal, but I could use a component input with an external VGA->Component transcoder and the Powerstrip software to adjust the picture.

The new Zenith C27V36 looked interesting until I heard it forces 16:9 WS letterbox mode when fed a > 480p signal on component or DVI. That won’t work because I want my windows desktop to fill the whole 4:3 screen.

The Princeton AR2.7FTX looks good, but $1150 for a 27†is a bit much. The Monivision DM5952KF is also $1200 for a 27â€. There must be something significantly cheaper that can display a nice looking 27†computer desktop. Both of those can do 1024x768. I would consider something with lower resolution if the price was right.

Eventually (after setup and testing) I want to remove my regular computer monitor and ONLY use the 27†display. So the picture has to be good enough to get around in windows (be able to read text).

I’ve tried outputting to a 27†SDTV with S-Video and the text is unreadable (almost totally unusable as a computer desktop). One other thought is that my SDTV has component inputs. Would using component inputs on a SDTV give a better picture than S-Video? Somehow I doubt it.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
187 Posts
 Previous Thread

Try searching next time as this thread hits the majority of points you asked.

But on a sumary basically you wont find many sets (virtually none under a grand) that can display anything above 480p at 4:3.. Thats an HDTV standard that 1080i 720p etc is put into 16:9. The only things Ive seen that can do high res at full screen are those Monovisions, and like 10grand plasmas... I am in the same boat as you though man. Dont want to spend anywhere near 1k$ but I want to use it as a computer monitor. The conclusion Ive come to is the c27v22. not the 36 as you cannot get into the service menu. And the c27v22 can be had for under 500$. You just have to live with the 480p input... If you find a better deal please let me know.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
The c27v22 monitor has VGA input and the C27V28 integrated has SVGA (600p) input. I have no idea how well these RGB inputs work. No DVI where it would be nice to just pass digital to the set.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hardwired
The c27v22 monitor has VGA input and the C27V28 integrated has SVGA (600p) input. I have no idea how well these RGB inputs work. No DVI where it would be nice to just pass digital to the set.
Any chance CC sells the C27V28? Ive never seen them carry it. Only seen it online on a handfull of stores. If I got it online I might as well get the Monivision as they would be about the same price.

----edit

Eh maybe not that close. 800$ delivered for the c27v28 compared to 935$. Both are still kinda high. Can just go to CC and get the C27V36 for 600$. Course no 600p and no service menu though...

The c27v28 would be great though if you could get it at 600$ like the c27v36 and v22. Running at 800x600 rather than 640x480 would be much nicer. If anyone knows of a place in Northern VA to get a hold of ones of these at a good price Id be much obliged if you could post it here :D

----another edit

Just called CC, they cant get it :(

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Did you consider the 30" Monivision Powerbuy? If you buy it without the VisionBox, you can probably get it for less than $900 shipped.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just got into this whole HTPC game when I stumbled across a used princeton AR3.2T on craigslist for $250. The person I bought it from got it from a dot.bomb fire sale and had no idea of its value - he just used it as a computer monitor so he could work from his couch.

I'd shop around for used "presentation monitors" being sold by businesses, or people in similar circumstances who scored their tube from work. Of course you probably should inspect the thing personally for burn-in and such, but this is how you'll get the best deal on an HD-capable multisync tube. Anyone selling one as an HDTV (rather than a presentation monitor) is probably going to jack up the price to, well, HDTV levels.

Just my $0.02

-vga4life

·
Registered
257 Posts
For HTPC use I'd go for front projector. Hop by the Under $5k FP forum and have a look. If you want a really big screen, nothing beats 'em.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Stornn
For HTPC use I'd go for front projector. Hop by the Under $5k FP forum and have a look. If you want a really big screen, nothing beats 'em.
Uh Dont think thats really relevant. We were looking at 27" CRTs close to 500$. a projector for 2k$ is way off.... You gotta understand a lot of the people that come here dont have that much money to throw around. An LCD projector would be great. But 5K$ is way out of the ball park.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If your video card supports interlaced scanning, you can set the resolution to 1280X1024 interlaced, and it should lock up on a 4:3 TV capable of scanning 1080I.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Dycus
If your video card supports interlaced scanning, you can set the resolution to 1280X1024 interlaced, and it should lock up on a 4:3 TV capable of scanning 1080I.
Hrmmmm thats very interesting, can anyone try this on a c27v22?

Quote:
Originally posted by Buick455
well i tryed to post a link to the prev post i made but it wouldnt let me so just go here, this 5 posts b4 u can link is crazy.

add the WW to the begining of:

w.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=310759

mabey it will help u stay out of the trouble i got into..
Well Im sorry about your troubles... but what resolutions were you giving the TV? Were you using powerstrip? What vid card were you using? What timings? If you didnt use powerstrip and one of the timings posted in the HTPC forum then Im not really surprised you had problems....

·
Registered
111 Posts
i cannot get the c27v22 to do full screen above 640x480.

1280x1024 does NOT work for me.

c

Quote:
Originally posted by jamesavery22
Hrmmmm thats very interesting, can anyone try this on a c27v22?

Well Im sorry about your troubles... but what resolutions were you giving the TV? Were you using powerstrip? What vid card were you using? What timings? If you didnt use powerstrip and one of the timings posted in the HTPC forum then Im not really surprised you had problems....
:mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.