AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been roaming on here because i've been considering upgrading from my 1996 magnavox because I'm probably going to get a next gen video game system. I don't want to spend a lot because i'm a college student so I took some advice I saw on here and searched craig's list. I came across a 36 inch Sony KV-36FS100 for $270.

Should I get it or look for something else?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I second that. If you are getting a 360 or PS3 you'll be robbing yourself of all the visual goodies these systems provide if you don't have HD. The games don't look even half as good on SD imo. It would be fine for the Wii though since it doesn't do HD anyway.

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli /forum/post/0

any brands i should stay away from or brands that are preferred over others?

When it comes to CRTs Sony is the best but usually the most expensive as well. Hhgregg has the Sony 34XBR970 for $800 right now which is cheaper than anyplace else I know of and that is easily the best tube HDTV in stores right now. But I don't know, maybe $800 is more than you are willing to spend. The XBR970 isn't as good as the XBR960 was but the XBR960 isn't available anymore and it was several hundred dollars more than the XBR970. The XBR970 won't be available much longer either. If you are looking for something used look for a Sony HDTV that had the Super Fine Pitch Tube in it, like the XBR960 and some other models. Those were AWESOME, best tube HDTVs ever made. But they were expensive as hell and are hard to find. But if you can't find one of those the XBR970 is a damned fine set in its own right, better than anything else out there by another company in the tube category.

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...roductID=15869

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakaveli /forum/post/0

that's more than i want to spend. i'm kind of in the same boat as another poster. nothing over $300

Whew, that's a tough budget. I can't imagine getting anything remotely good in that price range. I'd say just hold on to your money until you have some more to spend. But who knows, maybe you can find something used at ebay or something like that for that amount. Considering that you can get the XBR970 new for $800 who knows what you can get it used for. But don't get anything that isn't HD, there isn't a point. You've already got a SDTV so why spend your last dime on something you already have?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.