AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I've gone long enough without multichannel hi def audio so I want to upgrade my old Denon 2805 (the sub input does not work so I can't do analog audio from my hd-a1).

For around the same price I can get the Denon 2807 or the new Onkyo 805 or the HK 745.

The 745 has a host of cool features since it is the current HK flagship but multichannel would have to be done via analog inputs because of hdmi issues.

The 2807 does everything it is supposed to and I have used Denon products for years--but it is due to be replaced soon and it is fairly expensive for what you are getting, especially compared to the 745/805

The new Onkyo 805 looks like the bomb on paper and it has THX ultra2 certification which should indicate it has plenty of power. My only experience with Onkyo receivers was around 6 years ago. I bought one of their mid-high receivers and then took it back because it just sounded weak to me. I ended up back then with a Denon 3803.

OR should I just go the band-aid route and get a Yamaha Rx-v661 on the cheap and wait another year for the hdmi stuff to shake out the rest of the way? Will the 661 be a step down from my old 2805?

In case someone is interested, this receiver will be running in a dedicated home theater comprised of B&W 603 fronts, HTM7 center, dsm6 on wall side surrounds and equivalent 6 series in wall rear surrounds. Also a B&W ASW-650 sub and an SVS 20-39 PC+. (2 subs makes the 745 especially interesting because it can eq for both independently). the Projector is an Epson 550.

thanks very much for any and all advice.

B

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
I used a Denon AVR-2803 before and sold it after 2.5 years. It was adequate. I got my first H/K receiver AVR 247 two months ago. It was head and shoulders better than the Denon. Due to some video scaling issues, I ended up returning it and got a AVR 645. It was great. Then I heard about refurb 745 and ended up returning the 645 and got the 745. Now I am a satisfied customer. In between the 645 and 745, I wanted to try out the Onkyo. The new ones were not out yet, so I tried the 804. I compared the 804 and 645 side by side. For music the 645 beat the crap out of 804. For HT, the 645 was still better than the 804. I know that the 805 is a pretty big upgrade from the 804, but still, I prefer the warm sound of the H/K. Of course, the 805 has all the bells and whistles like 3 HDMI 1.3 inputs, etc. I would recommend that you pass on the Denon for now. The choice should be between the H/K and the Onkyo. If you can find a refurb H/K 745 through eBay from Harman Audio for under $800, go for it since it comes with full 2 year warranty. That is how I got mine and mine looks new.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bommai, that is exactly the kind of considered opinion I was hoping to get as a response to my dilemma.

Any insights by others who are making or have recently made a similar decision are appreciated.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I have an Onkyo TXsr800 I got around 4 years ago that I had used to push my Polk Rti series speakers up until this last year when I decided to buy a Denon 3806 for the HDMI inputs. The Denon seemed to have much more of a "fuller" sound than my Onkyo. After about 3 months of owning the 3806 I took advantage of an upgrade policy and purchased the Denon 4306 for the extra features.

Take care,

Brian

1 - 4 of 4 Posts