AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to output my comp to a 29" Tv.

I am using a matrox G550 card.

Do you have any 29" TVs to recommend?

I want to use it both as a monitor and also to playback DVDs

Is a 29" Tv sufficient?

and can i use a direct VGA input?

Thanks for the help...

dont know much about the TVs now..

Currently using the G550 s-video out to an old Tv.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
errm..

i only have these brands available to me..

sony, toshiba, samsung, phillips, hitachi...

i think.

i dont have the access to the brand u mentioned.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
The Sampo can be had for $1100 online... BTW I am assuming 4:3 aspect ratio (like regular TV), is that what you are looking for or do you want 16:9 widescreen?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont live in the US so i cant get the SAMPO online.

Yes..i want a regular 4:3 aspect ratio.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
100th Post... Woo Hoo! :D

These are the models I have found that are available in the US... Where are you?

Sony has the KV-27FS17 & KV-27FV17 , both flat 27" CRT with Y/Pr/Pb inputs.

Toshiba has the 27" flat CRT 27AF61 with Y/Pr/Pb inputs.

Samsung has the TXM2796HF , TXM2797HF , & TXM2798HF , all 27" flat CRT with Y/Pr/Pb inpts.

Philips has the 27RF50S , 27RF70S , 27PT81S & 27PT91S , all 27" flat CRT with Y/Pr/Pb inputs. Philips also has a couple of 32" models.

Hitachi has the 32UDX10S , a 32" flat CRT with Y/Pr/Pb inputs that are 720p capable.

If you can squeeze in 34", get the Hitachi, otherwise try to find some way to get the Sampo... 720p for HTPC is REALLY nice, and none of the others offer this resolution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I live in Singapore.

Cant get the Sampo or hitachi.

looking for a 29" actually.

dont think i cant afford a larger one.

So none of the rest supports the resolution of the Sampo?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Looks like all the manufactures skip over 29", it's either 27", 30", or 32". If any of the others support 720p, they didn't mention it on their websites. Maybe someone else here more familiar with direct-view TV's has some more ideas?

Another approach might be to look at large PC monitors like the CTX MS2900 , which is capable of 1024x768 and has a direct VGA connection, no transcoder or breakout cable necessary. Since you're using a HTPC, and this doesn't come with an unnecessary tuner, PIP, etc., you'll save some $$$ and the focus is on video quality.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hmm..

actually ur definition of 27" is the same as my 29"

yours is the viewable area while mine refers to the size.

Dont think i will be able to get large PC monitors at cheap prices.

What do you mean by 720p?

Could you explain as i have no knowledge of that means?

I saw on some of the sites stating 400p too.

Thanks for the info..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Yes, 27"viewable = 29" CRT

480i (regular NTSC TV) is 480 lines visible resolution, interlaced.

PAL (european TV, including Singapore) has 576i visible lines.

480p (NTSC DVD) is 480 lines resolution, progressive (non-interlaced). PAL DVD's get you 576p

540p is 540 lines, 720p 720 lines resolution progressive, etc.

Most ATSC compatible HDTV's support 480i, 540p, and 1080i. Support for 720p is a plus for HTPC because you'll have more resolution for your Windows desktop, which may result in better video up or downscaled by your HTPC.

Singapore uses DVB instead of ATSC, I'm not all that familiar with DVB but I know it also supports 1080i broadcasts.

This brings up a few more questions... Is this only for DVD playback or is the HTPC going to be the TV tuner, too?

Since you're using an HTPC, you could use a ATSC TV (if it'll work with your local power) and use a DVB compatible tuner card in the HTPC for over-the-air HD or a PAL tuner card for regular TV.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Actually, now that I think more about it, I doubt any of the suggestions I have made will work for you... I really don't know enough about PAL, DVB, 50 Hz power and refresh rates, etc., so I yeild to those in Europe/Asia who have first-hand knowledge of what works best.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Hitachi has the 32UDX10S, a 32" flat CRT with Y/Pr/Pb inputs that are 720p capable.
Ron, the Hitachi link at http://www.hitachi.com/tv/browse/dir...32udx10s.shtml says the TV is 1080i HDTV Display. I presume 720p input would be converted to 1080i?

Quote:
If you can squeeze in 34", get the Hitachi, otherwise try to find some way to get the Sampo... 720p for HTPC is REALLY nice, and none of the others offer this resolution.
If a TV doesn't specify "720p", can it still take a 720p input? I ask because I have a PC that has an S-Video output, and it seems to work with most TVs. I presume this is probably for RGB (converted to component) input?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by marc88
I would like to output my comp to a 29" Tv.

I am using a matrox G550 card.

Do you have any 29" TVs to recommend?

I want to use it both as a monitor and also to playback DVDs

Is a 29" Tv sufficient?

and can i use a direct VGA input?

Thanks for the help...

dont know much about the TVs now..

Currently using the G550 s-video out to an old Tv.
Marc88,

Look at the Samsung Plano series. It has VGA in. Better yet get a Plasma screen or a Sharp LCD.

Just curious, you currently use a TV to read text?!?!?!?!? :confused:

Xtrahot
hangs around xtremeplace as well

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
SGanesh:

If it doesn't say it'll accept 720p, it probably won't. If you're using s-video you'll always get 480i, so yeah, we're talking about RGB or Y/Pr/Pb.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.