AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A must firmware upgrade for "Region Free" playback, no problems reported, please use Nero to burn file to disk (Use free trial if need be) http://www.nero.com/en/nero-prog.php

Windows software will not work. Other than that, good to go. Load it up and let it go!

http://mapage.noos.fr/gbogros/d21zsavd.zip

http://mapage.noos.fr/gbogros/d31zsavd.zip

Firmware Upgrade Procedures:

** Be Careful updating your firmware, it is recommended that you have this done by a qualified Denon technician**

Burn the D21 or 31*.cfw data files to a standard data CD-R at the SLOWEST possible speed supported

by your CD writer (e.g. 4x or 8x).

Burning to disk using Nero:

1. After starting Nero close the default wizard, which will lead you straight to the main burning menu. The program will work in demo/trial mode.

2. Cancel the “New Compilation†screen which enables you to choose what kind of CD you wish to burn.

3. Go to “file†and choose “Burn Imageâ€

4. Find the previously downloaded Firmware Update file on your Hard Disk (.cfw file). Select it, click on “Open". Recommend saving to your desktop or familiar location for easy access.

5. Be sure to have the "Disk At Once" and "Finalize CD" boxes checked before starting the burn.

6. Insert the CD-R/RW disc into appropriate drive and wait for the onscreen information if the CD-R/RW disk to be written if it has not been inserted prior to this point and complete burning process.

Once burning is complete move on to upgrade procedures below.

*(Reference to power on/off refers to actual power button, not illuminated stand-by button).*

1) Turn on the power. Open the disc tray and load the CD-R/RW disc.

2) Press "OPEN/CLOSE" button.

3) The following indications appear on the FL display: "CLOSE"-"LOADING"-"WRITING"-COMPLETE" Takes approximatley 45 seconds so don't get concerned that it's taking to long.

4) On "COMPLETE", the disc tray will open. Turn off the power.

5) While holding the "PLAY" and "OPEN/CLOSE" buttons on the unit down simultaneously, turn on the power of the unit. The FL display indicates the Play and Pause symbols. To close the disc tray press "OPEN/CLOSE" again.

6) Initialization: Turn off the power, and then turn on again while holding the "SKIP FORWARD" (>>|) and "PLAY" (>) buttons simultaneously. Right after you turn power on press the "OPEN/CLOSE" button for approx. 3 seconds (make sure you press the open/close button before the 2910/3910 leaves the display field). Continue holding all buttons until the display reads "INITIALIZE".

NOTE:

If "INITIALIZE" is not displayed on the first attempt, press SKIP FORWARD and PLAY simultaneously

followed by OPEN/CLOSE for more than 3 seconds again. Repeat this procedure until successful.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Region free indeed, with no problems installing firmware. Took a couple of tries to get it "Initialized" (Be sure to press open/close while 2910/3910 is being displayed, I'm a little slow ) but other than that smooth sailing.

Just a heads up, if you've made picture adjustments within the DVD player you might want to document them prior to installing the firmware to save yourself the time of going through everything again and calibrating with AVIA or DVE due to the fact it resets everything to factory settings after install.

*Update*

Region Free applies to Component and DVI output's. HDMI still needs to be confirmed as I can not.

Just switch to the appropriate input for desired format your viewing via the HDMI/DVI "Select" button on your remote. Also remember to use the NTSC/PAL button on the remote if image is scrambled when you switch over (player must be stopped when doing so). Will keep updating if anything else arises.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Correct Sam,

I am currently stationed in Italy and to verify I threw in a local Region 2 PAL disk I bought out in town entitled "FALLO" Italiano/AREA2/PAL.

My display is an NTSC, U.S. Spec Sony KP-57WS510.

I tried playing the same disk after I got my 2910 (Sent from the states) and it would not play, I got the "Region Error Message" now it plays like a charm!

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve_Lazarus
Correct Sam,

I am currently stationed in Italy and to verify I threw in a local Region 2 PAL disk I bought out in town entitled "FALLO" Italiano/AREA2/PAL.

My display is an NTSC, U.S. Spec Sony KP-57WS510.

I tried playing the same disk after I got my 2910 (Sent from the states) and it would not play, I got the "Region Error Message" now it plays like a charm!
Great! Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by umr
It is a crime actually. PAL needs to be output over 720p instead of down scaled to 480p.
It's a crime that all players don't come from the factory region free.... JMO!! :p :eek: :p

·
Registered
29,356 Posts
Will it output PAL at 576p?

·
Registered
625 Posts
Does this firmware encompass the DVD 3910 upgrade that corrected the chroma/luma delay error through the digital outputs? I wouldn't want to "downgrade" just for the sake of being region-free.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert2413
Does this firmware encompass the DVD 3910 upgrade that corrected the chroma/luma delay error through the digital outputs? I wouldn't want to "downgrade" just for the sake of being region-free.
Wish I could answer that for you....

Download both and use Hex editor to compare them. That would be your best shot at answering that question. Or you could just test them both and see if the you still get the Chroma/Luma error with the region free version, if so switch back...

Also if anyone using HDMI could respond with a "yeah" or "nay" for region free playback using HDMI it would be greatly appreciated.... It does support component and DVI, I have no way to check HDMI....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
My silver 2910 arrived from Crutchfield today, and after doing a firmware flash i'm thrilled to report that region-free playback via HDMI is working beautifully on my Sony XBR960...my PAL R2 disc of EYES WIDE SHUT is playing as we speak. It looks pretty damn good, but I imagine it'll be looking even better when I monkey around with DVE a little bit. I have everything set to match the TV's HD settings as determined during an ISF cabibration a few months ago, and they seem to be pretty close to what the DVD player requires, but not quite all the way there...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.