AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just replaced my Panny RP-91 with a Denon 2910, for viewing on my HT1000.

My first observation, the 720p/1080i resolution/clarity is easily double that of 480i/480p from the Panny RP-91 via component. The 2910 at 480p via DVI seems very similar to the RP-91 at 480i/480p. Besides the 720p/1080i pop in resolution/clarity, there is definitely something else happening with the overall Gamma. It's something I noticed in the Day After Tomorrow opening scenes. It felt like there was more dynamic range, the darks being darker and the whites being whiter, with a much more HD-esque spread in between. I have no way of actually measuring, but it is a very similar experience to what I had when switching between DVI and Component while watching HBO-HD. The DVI connection offered the same "expanded" feeling.

I am seeing very little difference between 720P and 1080i. I have looked at complex images, zooming into the image as much as possible, and they appear almost identical, with a very small amount of alaising on the 1080i image. I chaulk this up to the difference between the FLI2300 in the 2910 and FLI-2200 in the HT1000. For now I plan to stay at 720p until I find a good reason to jump up to 1080i. One difference I can also note, at 1080i, my HT1000 automatically locks in at 5% minmum overscan, while at 720p I can still choose 0% as the minimum setting.

The 2910 has a nice SETUP adjustment under the PICTURE MODE SET option, that allows switching to 0 IRE, which helps take the black level down. There is also a VIDEO SETUP for HDMI/DVI Black Level, with NORMAL and ENHANCED options. This choice expands the grayscale range from 16-235 to 0-246, and maybe the meant 0-256. Ssetting to Enhanced also lowers the black level on the DVI output. And while these two black level adjustments go a long way at helping the 2910 work with the standard HT1000 picture control settings. But in order to get the best image I have to tweak the RGB contrast/brightness Color Temp settings, to dial in the Hi/Low cut offs, as well as adjust color temp to the eye. I have gotten to (2) settings where 0 IRE just disappears, and 99/100 IRE are just about to crush. The settings are very close to 6500 & 7800.

The 2910 will not let me STEP thru TITLE tracks on my homemade DVD-r discs, rather I have to go to the top menu and select the tracks if I want to advance or go back. The tracks will play thru ok, there is just no quick navigation with the remote STEP button.

I tried some macroblock hunting, and I have yet to get any of the typical MB DVDs to produce MB.I tried the opening of Monsters Inc, Dark City and the Day after Tomorrow. In the very beginning of Day After Tomorrow, as the titles transition from being on black to the tracking camera shot across the artic ice/water, they is a moment where I thought I was seing some MB. But it was probably the movement of the tracking shot fading in, which becomes evident right away.

If anyone has a favorite MB test scene, I'd be happy to give it a whirl and report.

So far, I am digging the 2910. Because I bought it from tweeters locally, I have a little bit of time if I decide to take it back. But I figure I will give a good test drive period and maybe even a head to head with the Panny S97 if that hits the stores in my area any time soon.

I'm pretty sure the 2910 is deserving of 2 thumbs up.

BTW... if anyone is interested in my RP-91 before I put it up for sale, drop me an email at [email protected]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The Empire Strikes Back has lots of good MB testing scenes in the first space battle cruiser scene. Now the single best test of MB I have seen to date are the opening credits on Star Trek Voyager dvd, as the ship flies through the sun's corona. Granted I am one of the few who probably bought it.

On the 1910 I nearly had a heart attack the MB was so bad. I didn't want to see it, I was desperately hoping it was not there but it was. I have a 2910 I am waiting to connect to my plasma and try out.

I have to tell you, I owned a black Panasonic Rp91 at one point, thats hot sexy looking dvd player. I almost hate to see it retired for that reason alone.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I also replaced one of my RP91s with the 2910 for my new HT system. Been very happy with the 2910. No regret in replacing the RP91 and the 2910 looks great at 720p on my Sammy HLP6163. Still using the 2nd [email protected] feeding my older HT system and letting the Sony 53HS30 upscale to 960i. Best of both worlds.:D

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Great review. I have a RP-91K also and was looking at a 2910 or 3910 to go DVI to a Pioneer Elite 630. I've been reading everything I can find on the two Denons before making the decision.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Jim

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An additional thought, after watching Kill Bill Vol 1 tonight.

The 2910 can also be hooked up via component 480i/480p, and you then get the full range of PICTURE MODE adjustments. In this regard, the Gamma and mid/hi sharpness controls surpass the the RP-91. Plus you get excellent FLI-2300 deinterlacing at 480p, which also tops the RP-91

So, I plan to have both the DVI and component outputs feeding my HT1000. Then on some movies with extra EE, I can run component 480p and the sharpness controls can come into play.

User should note. component 480p only worked when you sellect HDMI/DVI OFF. If you have any other setting, only 480i will come from the component outputs.

Now I'm off to watch KB Vol 2.

;-)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Hey RJ,

Could you post your settings as I now have the same setup as you(except the 3910). I laugh every time I read your posts as it seems we are on the same page. Panamorph?, no panamorph, new DVD? old DVD is fine, well maybe I'll go back to Panamorph. When does it end?

Scott

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here are some settings for the 2910 & HT1000

For all of the settings below, I have the 2910 set for BLACK ENHANCEDunder the main SETUP menu, and IRE = 0 under the PICTURE MODE SET menu. I found this is the best setup on the 2910 so that the brightness controls are not to far off their factory positions for the proper setting of pluge.

HT1000 with the 2910 feeding 480i via component

Picture = -1

Contrast = 35

Color = 37

Hue = 30

Sharp = 0

MOVIE

Natural Gamma

Color Temp = 7800

R = 5

G = 0

B = 3

Y = 15

M = -15

C = -2

GAIN = 0

SWEETVISION = OFF

BLACK EXPANSION = OFF

CONTRAST ENHANCE = OFF

AS AN ALT

SWEETVISION = 1

BLACK EXPANSION = 4

CONTRAST ENHANCE = -1

These alternate settings boost the lower gamma nicely for watching dark films.

720P DVI 6500k approximate

MOVIE

Natural Gamma

R = 0

G = 0

B = 3

Y = 10

M = -15

C = -2

GAIN = 0

BR = 4

BG = -7

BB = 4

CR = 164

CG = 135

CB = 175

720P dvi 7800K APPROXIMATE

MOVIE

Natural Gamma

R = 0

G = 0

B = 3

Y = 10

M = -15

C = -2

GAIN = 0

BR = 4

BG = -5

BB = 4

CR = 154

CG = 130

CB = 175

For the setting of the RGB vaules under DVI, I dialed in the brightness so that a 0 IRE value image blanked on the side, disappeared against projector black, for each color value. There was some back and forth tweaking as I worked my way. Another words, I have a 0 IRE full frame field on DVD-R, and I used blanking controls to cut back the left side of the image, so I could see the 0 IRE signal source against the BLACK projected by the HT1000.

For setting contrast, I have another pattern on DVD-R for the IRE scale from 90 to 100 IRE in single steps. In this case, I pushed up the contrast values of RGB until I could see the seperation between 99 & 100 IRE start to crush or disappear. I found a value of 175 for RGB is where I started loosing seperation. I then backed off the R & G values until I got proper color temps to the eye for the high and mid IRE values.

Obviously these methods are not a good as a proper color correction, but they seem to be working fine at, boosting over all picture brightness without crushing the high end whites, lowering the deepest blacks so they just disappear, and the over all gamma is close to 6500 & 7800 according to my eye.

Give the setting a whirl and please post any changes you make so I can try them as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.