Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I am wanting to put together a 2 ch system, doing away with the multichannel for now, since I wont be moving into a house for another 2 years.

I think I have my Marantz SR7500 and DV6400 sold to a friend.

And I think I will sell the subwoofer to since I dont get to use it much.

I was looking at the new NAD Master series and it looks really good, the M3 does 180x2 at 8 ohms, perfect amount of power.

However, I was talking to the owner of the home audio shop that I bought most of my stuff from, he has a Rotel setup thats a demo that I can get for a good price, RB-1080 amp (200x2) and RC-1070 pre amp. It leaves a lot of money going with the Rotel.

I just cant decided on whether to go with an integrated or seperates. I just dont know where else to look for that price, local stuff is limited here.

Any suggestions?

The speakers are B&W 704's.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have heard of tubes, but never actually heard tube amps in action. can you possibly point me in the right direction of some nice amps?

i remember reading specs on a tube amp once, it made like 8 watts @ 8 ohms and the cost was something like $1500. are tube amp watts different from solid state amps?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
You can get a 40w x 2 integrated tube amp for less than $1000. The wattage depends upon the tube topology (push pull vs single ended, etc). Find a good tube site and do some reading.

The following are some popular brands:

Jolida

Cary

Antique Sound Labs

Check out some tube-friendly forums at such sites at audioasylum dot com. Also check out the used tube integrated amp section at audiogon. You can see what is available at different prices.

One last thing - tubes aren't for everyone. A good SS integrated from Krell may be more suitable for your needs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the help. I heard of Antique Sound Labs, the guys at head-fi like the headphone amp they make. I'll so some reading into tubes and tube amps, I like the idea of having a tube amp, its different.

thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Quote:
I just cant decided on whether to go with an integrated or seperates.
I think the Rotel combination you listed will mate very nicely with the B&Ws. My personal feeling has always been that your speaker choice and your room topology have much more do you with the ultimate "sound" of your rig than your choice of amplification. The nice thing about the Rotel combo is that you can upgrade to more power at some point down the road. Also, if you want to experiment with the effect of tubes, you can replace the Rotel pre-amp with a tubed pre-amp (or replace the Rotel amp with a tube amp) down the road.

I was on the tube bandwagon for a long, long time. There are great and not-so-great things about tubes and, ultimately, I'm very happy with solid state amplification and would not return to the world of tube amps. You could consider the Rotel pre-amp and amp, and add something like Musical Fidelity's tubed output stage, or a tubed DAC, if you're really interested in the idea of the tube effect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Tubes are definitely not for the "set it and leave it" type. I have a Jolida 502b and it's rated at 60wpc (which has to be equal to 100+ watts on most SS gear) and it has gobs of power at hand. The sound is different than SS and needs to be heard with your setup before commitment, but I think most people would like a tube setup if it wasn't for the maintenance. Also PrimaLuna makes some good integrated amps, you would probably be better going for a Push Pull configuration with those speakers.(stay away from 8wpc in other words)Just my op.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Adcom seperates

Denon integrated amp

$1200

80 x 2

Parasound seperates

NAD seperates

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool4life
Adcom seperates

Denon integrated amp

$1200

80 x 2

Parasound seperates

NAD seperates
Nice recommendations! The Denon PMA-2000IVR is a sweetheart. Built like a Brick (hm, errr) house.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Grooms
Nice recommendations! The Denon PMA-2000IVR is a sweetheart. Built like a Brick (hm, errr) house.
I want one (and now's the time I could possibly get a good deal on one)...

...but, I have sell my Pioneer Elite integrated amp first (it's a good product; I just need more power).

"Ugh...ugh...ugh..."

:D

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, i already did it, purchased a parasound halo p3 pre amp and a23 amplifier. i bought the amp used off of audiogon because the price was good, and since i bought it cheap, i'll see if the power is enough (it should be). if not, i might upgrade to the a21 or buy another a23 and run both a23's bridged.

thanks for the help and suggestions, hopefully my quest is over (for this year :) )

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.