AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is all a bit new to me, but last night we watched Avitar and got the Epson eh-tw8300 to convert to 3D, I was very impressed but I have only had a projector a few days so I have no comparison. For me what I saw was amazing, but is there real gain to be had to get a blue ray and get real 3D recorded films?

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
454 Posts
There is no comparison between converted 2D - 3D and a proper 3D Blu-Ray presentation. The conversion of Avatar would be ok and as it was shot with 3D in mind, no doubt the conversion was aided by this fact but really if you want a "proper" 3D experience get a 3D Blu-ray player and the 3D Version of Avatar.

·
Registered
115 Posts
No comparison. If you want 3d, get the 3d version of the movie.

Not all 3d movies are created equal... I was less than impressed with the 3d effects in Tron

·
Registered
6,752 Posts
Some converters seem smarter than others and might even recognize that certain things like slower moving backgrounds get placed farther back than foreground items, but mostly 2D-3D conversion just gives the entire picture anaappearance of depth like looking through a window into the somewhat flat screen. The depth is still cool, but not often sophisticated. In a real 3D movie the spacing of objects will be different depending on their distance from the camera. Instead of looking through a window into a flat-ish screen, you'll be looking through a window with distant parts distant, close things close and even some pushed far forward into your window.

On top of that, sometimes a more sophisticated 2D-3D converter will push inappropriate things forward simply because of a strong color contrast or various other reasons..so a stripe on a person's shirt may come through your screen whilst they're hanging out in the back depth.

2D-3D can be a lot of fun with videogames. It treats some impressively well.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It looks like a blue ray player is on the shopping list then, but I will for sure be trying the converted think on a few more movies in the mean time it is still very cool IMO

Anyone recommend a good blue ray player with hifi use in mind (some I believe player sacds)?

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cafe Latte  /t/1525134/2d-to-3d-or-proper-3d#post_24552838

It looks like a blue ray player is on the shopping list then, but I will for sure be trying the converted think on a few more movies in the mean time it is still very cool IMO

Anyone recommend a good blue ray player with hifi use in mind (some I believe player sacds)?

Regards

Chris

what's your price range? if you want standard simple blu-ray playback a nice sony or panasonic will set you back about $100 and will do you fine. if you want to have a tank and can play everything under the sun.. oppo makes great ones for like $500

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am looking at more the Oppo level (just googled it). What is its audio quality like though as I just had a brief read of what hifi's review and they did not give the audio side of things a very good rating?

Regards

Chris

1 - 9 of 9 Posts