AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Searching for 2EQ vs MultEQ brings up dozens of threads which just regurgitate what you will find on Audyssey's website. Stepping up from 2EQ to MultEQ you get finer resolution filters, samples from more seating positions, and EQing the sub. Thats fine and dandy, but none of these threads really address the SQ differences.

I know a side by side comparison is hard because there will be other differences in the receivers, but has anyone attempted a side by side comparison of 2EQ vs MultEQ? What were your impressions?

What about a comparison using strait MultEQ vs MultEQ not EQing the sub?

I would love to hear from some people that have tried this. Was there any difference, was it subtle or dramatic?

·
Registered
30,747 Posts
IMHO, the lack of sub EQ is critical. If you have a sub with its own roomEQ, you might get away with 2EQ. It is the bass end where Audyssey shines.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input. This is driving me crazy. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Onkyo 608, but its lack of MultEQ is holding me back. I'm starting to think the Denon 1910 might be the better bet in the same price range since I don't care about hdmi 1.4

Edit: also, if the low end is where Audyssey really shines, why on earth did they not include sub EQ in 2EQ? I would think if that is where it made the most difference the "cheap" version of Audyssey would only include sub EQ and the higher version would add capabilities for the satalites.

·
Registered
30,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ /forum/post/18453268

Edit: also, if the low end is where Audyssey really shines, why on earth did they not include sub EQ in 2EQ? I would think if that is where it made the most difference the "cheap" version of Audyssey would only include sub EQ and the higher version would add capabilities for the satalites.

Dunno. It is a decision made by the AVR manufacturer. Since each level of Audyssey, from 2EQ to MultEQ to MultEQXT, requires more and more DSP capability, it is only to be expected that the cheaper units will not have the capacity for more advanced processing. Also note that bass/sub processing is the most complex part of the work.

·
Registered
30,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanwinter /forum/post/18454835

why is bass/sub processing the most complex?

It requires more filtering per frequency band.

·
The Village Idiot
9,657 Posts
The Denon 590/1610 have MultEQ. They aren't HDMI 1.4 compliant but that may not be such a big deal for a few years to come.

·
Registered
452 Posts

Quote:

Thanks for the input. This is driving me crazy. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on the Onkyo 608, but its lack of MultEQ is holding me back. I'm starting to think the Denon 1910 might be the better bet in the same price range since I don't care about hdmi 1.4

If you don't care about HDMI 1.4 then why not get an Onkyo 807 or HT-RC180? They can be had for about $650 on weekends at Newegg. The 180 can be had for $599 refurbished. They both have MultiEQ and are much better AVRs than the Denon 1910.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha, I would have loved to, but they are above my price range. I even considered a refurbished TX-SR707. But again, it just didn't quite have the WAF I needed.

The 608 and 1910 can both be had for at least $100 cheaper than 707. I ended up going with the 608. Three parts to my reasoning 1) I have a htiab receiver now and my sub isn't EQed, so I won't know what I'm missing. 2) I typically keep the volume on my sub very low compared to the rest of my speakers, so I might not appreciate it being EQed anyway 3) If I regret my purchase and trade up in a year having a 2010 unit with hdmi 1.4 will probably help alot in the resale market.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:

Audyssey (MultEQ vice 2EQ) which also includes sub filters which 2EQ does not have."" That maybe a big plus as it better not to have MultEQ if it doesn't work right with some subs like if the sub faces down and not not into the room. 2EQ is a sure bet to work with NO ill side effects. MultEQ can be alot better and it can also make your sub sound alot worse. Audyssey thread is a mile long on this. There are work arounds, but there not for the newbie.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18458292

Get the onkyo 608, 2EQ does work well. Multeq just maybe a over hyped dud.

lol, I feel like Im having to post after you too much

But once again, you are way off on your opinoin.

2EQ does not work well at all compared to MultEQ XT. You simply have no experience on this topic from that opinion.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18458370

Audyssey (MultEQ vice 2EQ) which also includes sub filters which 2EQ does not have."" That maybe a big plus as it better not to have MultEQ if it doesn't work right with some subs like if the sub faces down and not not into the room. 2EQ is a sure bet to work with NO ill side effects. MultEQ can be alot better and it can also make your sub sound alot worse. Audyssey thread is a mile long on this. There are work arounds, but there not for the newbie.

Onkyo knows what I know.

You are killing me, there is ZERO DIFFERENCE in terms of in room response from a sub that fires down or forward!! Ask any sub builder, There are a few on this site.

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18458389

You are killing me, there is ZERO DIFFERENCE in terms of in room response from a sub that fires down or forward!! Ask any sub builder, There are a few on this site.

No, you are wrong, for one the phasing is not the same, and the "gravity effect" if you really want to get picky.

·
The Village Idiot
9,657 Posts
I want to get picky - what is the 'gravity effect'?

And while you are at it perhaps you could explain how phasing is affected by a down firing sub. I'm curious.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18458444

No, you are wrong, for one the phasing is not the same, and the "gravity effect" if you really want to get picky.

Wrong, go post that opinion on the subwoofer forum and you will learn something AGAIN.

There is no gravity effect on the sound waves generated from a woofer pointed up, down,sideways or whatever. Phasing is no different, do you understand how big these soundwaves are? What do you think the length of a 40Hz soundwave is?

btw, I have built 3 ported subs, 2 sealed subs, 1 PR sub and an IB array. Im currently researching building a tapped horn sub. Im not an expert like other members on AVS (Mark Seaton, Ricci, Bossobass, etc) but I have enough experience to know that you have simply no idea.

The only thing that can maybe effect a downfiring subwoofer is the long term sag effects of the woofer itself.

All your posts in many threads lead me to ask this...are you 18 years old?

·
Banned
1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 /forum/post/18458695

I want to get picky - what is the 'gravity effect'?

And while you are at it perhaps you could explain how phasing is affected by a down firing sub. I'm curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/18458697

Wrong, go post that opinion on the subwoofer forum and you will learn something AGAIN.

There is no gravity effect on the sound waves generated from a woofer pointed up, down,sideways or whatever. Phasing is no different, do you understand how big these soundwaves are? What do you think the length of a 40Hz soundwave is?

btw, I have built 3 ported subs, 2 sealed subs, 1 PR sub and an IB array. Im currently researching building a tapped horn sub. Im not an expert like other members on AVS (Mark Seaton, Ricci, Bossobass, etc) but I have enough experience to know that you have simply no idea.

The only thing that can maybe effect a downfiring subwoofer is the long term sag effects of the woofer itself.

Gravity has affect on the mass of the speaker cone movement up/down.

90 degrees out of phase with other front facing drivers @ overlaping freqs.

All adds up to muddy sound. This is cutting edge thinking, remove these ill effects and then you are steps closer to a better sounding system.

Funny, I was thinking the same about you.

·
The Village Idiot
9,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18459007

All adds up to muddy sound. This is cutting edge thinking, remove these ill effects and then you are steps closer to a better sounding system.

Perhaps you could provide some links to that 'cutting edge thinking' about the 'gravity effect' - your explaintion just doesn't hold much water on its own.

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlegod /forum/post/18459007

So you going to post this opinion on the subforum or not? Please do it in the DIY forum if you want to be a real man

The mass of the cone is a moot point considering the power of the involved in moving it. Let just say its as easy to move a cone on a vertical plane as it is to move it on a horizontal plane. Phase is all about distance and has zero to do with the orientation of a driver. Again, how many subs have you built. How many hours have you spend reading and learning about sub designs?

You are obviously new here, Im definitely not 18...My question was a serious one. How old are you? I do not like having a discussion with kids or students, they just live in a bubble of inexperience and I have my own kids to have silly debates with.

I have lots of posts because I have spend a lot of time correcting the bad info people like you post. I feel its my duty to make sure audio ignorance is stopped in its tracks

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
1 - 20 of 49 Posts