AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I plan to spend 4k on for an used amp, I am wondering which is a better idea? Should I spend 2k on pre-amp and 2k on power amp OR get a 4k Integrated amp to get a better sound quality?

If you were me, what do you prefer?

Thanks

·
Registered
667 Posts
Not trying to be smart but you question is rather vague, we don't know your speakers, source, listening tastes , etc. By budgeting 4k used then it means your looking at a fairly high end piece(s) of gear , probably new, 7-10k depending on age. That really limits the 'Integrated' market to begin with.

How about SS vs. tubes ? or combining the two ?

I will throw back a general answer to your 'general' question, given the $$$ you are allocating, go seperate, if for no other reason than flexibility now and down the road.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
twitch54, you are right, I should provide more information. Right now, I have a B&W 805S and Marantz SA11 SACD player, and I plan to get an amp for my system. As you said, I can get a very high end integrated for 4k budget, on the other hand, most of pre-amp or power amp I interested in cost around 3k each. Therefore I am wondering should I get a high end integrated amp (such as Sim audio I-7) or get, for example, 1k pre-amp with used Mcintosh MC275 tube amp for my system?

By the way, my likes female vocal very much.

·
Premium Member
998 Posts
Get an ASR Emitter I on audiogon. It's a German made "integrated" amplifier, with completely separate chassis for signal path and power supply path. Some versions (without the battery supply) are under $6k used. This amplifier CANNOT be beat for the price. Speaking from 20 years of experience in audio, it is simultaneously the quietest and most revelatory amplifier I've ever owned. It my very well be your last amplifier purchase. BTW I have no affiliation with ASR, I just like their products.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorichard /forum/post/12980713

twitch54, you are right, I should provide more information. Right now, I have a B&W 805S and Marantz SA11 SACD player, and I plan to get an amp for my system. As you said, I can get a very high end integrated for 4k budget, on the other hand, most of pre-amp or power amp I interested in cost around 3k each. Therefore I am wondering should I get a high end integrated amp (such as Sim audio I-7) or get, for example, 1k pre-amp with used Mcintosh MC275 tube amp for my system?

Always go for separates when upgrading. The tube amp does sound tempting, but I would buy new for lower risk.

$4K is a good price range. I would get

Rotel RSP-1069 Pre-Amp/Processor ($2k)

Rotel RMB-1095 Amp (200W X 5 channels) (a little less than $2K)

Great reviews for the AMP at
http://www.audioreview.com/cat/ampli...4_1583crx.aspx

The RSP-1069 is newer, there are a few bugs, but there are fixes as well
http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=28530

·
Registered
667 Posts
If female vocals are your thing then I would go with either a tube pre-amp and good SS amp (fair amount of Class "A" bias), or go tubes the whole way in a pre and amp. the Mac 275 is a classic for sure, there are good used options in ARC, CJ as well.

FWIW, I'm presently using a pair of Rogue M-150 MonoBlocks and am more than happy with their performance.

With respect to SS amplification, I'm a big Plinius fan, owning a SA-102, it is a superb Class "A" amp that you will be hard pressed to better, when they come up for sale on the "Gon" ($2800-3000) they don't last long.

So, given your 4k budget, I say be patient, go seperate, that way your next upgrade will be incremental !!

·
Registered
202 Posts
would it be fair to say that a 7watt tube pre + 200watt 2ch. SS amp would produce more power than a 40watt integrated tube

·
Registered
317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiorichard /forum/post/12980713

By the way, my likes female vocal very much.

Seeing that you have the Marantz SA11 SACD you could get the matching integraded amp...that would be one hell of a nice system. Chech out the link below...they are out of stock at the moment, but they do get them in from time to time...or you could get the PM15S1 and save een more cash.

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-.../IntegratedAmp

frenchmon

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you want to go integrated, consider the Krell KAV-400i.

Otherwise, primare makes good reasonably priced seperates, as does Adcom.

The McIntosh 275 tube amp is also a good choice paired with a 1k to 1.5k pre amp you will be in good shape.

·
Registered
100 Posts
For 4k used you MAY be able to get the Pass Labs integrated (Int150.) I imagine this will kill a 4k power/pre combo.

I believe common wisdom holds you will get better quality from an integrated, as you will only have to pay for one chassis. However a pre/power is obviously more upgradable.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Allow me to recommend the NAD Masters M3 integrated preamp. It is a fine equipment that cost some 2,800 dollars. I own one and in my experience it has been a more satisfying solution than my second separated system.

BTW, I've auditioned Pass Labs separated solutions, and the Pass integrated amp is not necessarily a nice option. Unfortunately, the Pass X150.5 amp plus X2.5 preamp cost more than 4,000 dollars.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
If there is nothing wrong with what you are using now and you just want to get something new for the sake of something new, then I would say, what you choose doesn't really matter much. Choose whatever lights your fire.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Audiorichard:

I use a Mac MA6500 to power my PSB Platinum T8's in my office. This piece lists at $4000 and can be found for less. The sound quality is excellent and you won't run out of power. Many like the classic look of the Mac.

·
Registered
100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorgeLopez11 /forum/post/12998791

BTW, I've auditioned Pass Labs separated solutions, and the Pass integrated amp is not necessarily a nice option. Unfortunately, the Pass X150.5 amp plus X2.5 preamp cost more than 4,000 dollars.

That's interesting. I have only heard the Pass separates myself (w/ some v large proacs.) I thought they were fantastic. Have you heard the integrated? What didn't you like about it?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have been very impressed with Prima Luna Prologue 6 monoblocks... I have a Ah! Njoe Tjoeb directly (via Kimber Hero's) connected to those which are paired with Vienna Acoustics Bachs , sounds amazing, I just dumped my B&K Ref 50/7250 setup for it.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
The Sim Audio is a very nice piece that would mate well with your speakers.

I personally like separates as it offers more flexibility down the road. I too use a tube pre and solid state amp(s) in my music setup. I've been around the horn a few times trying different things but always seem to come back to this.

Bryan

1 - 20 of 25 Posts