AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a stock white sheet of Parkland hanging over a 3' x 6' window.

Behind the Parkland are normal $3 plastic mini blinds beige in the closed position.

On a bright winter morning facing south right into the sun, this is how much light comes thru.

As you can plainly see it is fairly detailed and a LOT of light. The Parkland is hanging loosely off the wall as much as 5" in some places. If the sheet was right against the window it would show great detail of the blinds. So anyone with windows be sure you cover the windows with blackout or black plastic.

This shows the Parkland will lose light if you do not paint the back side. That being said, even without paint it still projects a nice image!

I recommend the RLEV method of painting the backside with a reflective coating, multiple passes and possibly using a backer board or something else to be sure all the light is harnessed and maintained.

Since Mswauger already posted screenshots showing a live image with 50/50 paint - I am ending this test at this time.

If your using Parkland - it is wise to take advatage of a flaw.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by mikecazzx
Here is a stock white sheet of Parkland hanging over a 3' x 6' window.

Behind the Parkland are normal $3 plastic mini blinds beige in the closed position.

On a bright winter morning facing south right into the sun, this is how much light comes thru.

As you can plainly see it is fairly detailed and a LOT of light. So anyone with windows be sure you cover the windows with blackout or black plastic.

This shows the Parkland will lose light if you do not paint the back side. That being said, even without paint it still projects a nice image!

I recommend the RLEV method of painting the backside with a reflective coating, multiple passes and possibly using a backer board or something else to be sure all the light is harnessed and maintained.

Since Mswauger already posted screenshots showing a live image with 50/50 paint - I am ending this test at this time.

If your using Parkland - it is wise to take advatage of a flaw.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Mike,

I respect the time and effort that you have been spending on this project, and appreciate any DIY'r willing to experiment, but I see there are 2 problems with this test method. First, you are using the light power of the sun as a reference, not a projector. Second, you are only passing light through the Parkland one time, in reality, any light reflected back from a silver surface behind the Parkland, would have to travel completely through the Parkland material a second time before it would become visible again to the viewing audience. Your test should use the amount of light from "your" pj bulb, projected from it's normal throw distance (depends on how you have your theater set up), using 2 sheets of Parkland fixed together, then viewed from the rear, to reveal the amount of light that can make it through the parkland twice in your home theater.

BTW, I used a Parkland screen for over 6 months, and still highly recommend them.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Shedrock
Mike,

I respect the time and effort that you have been spending on this project, and appreciate any DIY'r willing to experiment, but I see there are 2 problems with this test method. First, you are using the light power of the sun as a reference, not a projector. Second, you are only passing light through the Parkland one time, in reality, any light reflected back from a silver surface behind the Parkland, would have to travel completely through the Parkland material a second time before it would become visible again to the viewing audience. Your test should use the amount of light from "your" pj bulb, projected from it's normal throw distance (depends on how you have your theater set up), using 2 sheets of Parkland fixed together, then viewed from the rear, to reveal the amount of light that can make it through the parkland twice in your home theater.

BTW, I used a Parkland screen for over 6 months, and still highly recommend them.
The tests we also done because I like the idea of improving something people were already using. I am going to paint mine as RLEV has suggested. I approached buying the Parkland knowing I was going to use it as a "poor mans fusion screen".

There are already posts showing actual 50/50 screenshots and posts saying people can actually see the movie thru the back while using it so thats all been covered already.

Actually my tests are valid for a reason.

Rarely if ever does someone use the same projector as the next person. So even if I used a projected image with my NEC then people would say well wait I used a LCD with 64000 gigabrites of light how will that compare etc etc etc. the threads would be endless.

So that being the case, light is light, if ya got a Parkland ya got a potential problem or asset depeding on how you want to handle it.

I did the basic tests at my leisure while building my room. I am not interested in extensive testing as you suggested because the na sayers here will pick it apart anyway. I.E. the battle between MissMan and TRYG for example.

The only real point was to clarify whether it was opaque or not. There was some discussion in the previous 39 pages where people were "sure" and "positive" no light came thru plastic.

The Parkland lets so much light thru its not even funny, now its up to you the buyer to decide how to handle that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.