AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,965 Posts
I wouldn't put the Samsung C8000 behind the Panasonic VT25 - certainly not in most ways.

·
Registered
638 Posts
The only advantage the VT25 has over the C8000 are the deeper black levels, but those black levels are only deeper part of the time when the blacks are floated down, and they are only deeper when they are floated down for a limmited amount of time because Panasonic black levels rise over time.

After the black levels on the VT25 rise and there's a scene that causes the black levels to float up, the black levels on the C8000 will be better.

The C8000 is better in just about every other way, including price.

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobrew /forum/post/19591860

The only advantage the VT25 has over the C8000 are the deeper black levels, but those black levels are only deeper part of the time when the blacks are floated down, and they are only deeper when they are floated down for a limmited amount of time because Panasonic black levels rise over time.

After the black levels on the VT25 rise and there's a scene that causes the black levels to float up, the black levels on the C8000 will be better.

The C8000 is better in just about every other way, including price.

Unless Samsung has stolen the patents that Panasonic acquired from Pioneer, I'd have to say that it will be light years before anyone else can match the fast burning phosphors that are unique to the VT25s and likely to be incorporated in the forthcoming VT30 series (that presumably will add the 2D to 3D feature that Panasonic incorporated into the more recent G sereis.) I'm guessing that the VT30 Series expected to be announced at next month's CES will probably be king of the hill for next year just like the VT25 sereies was for 2010.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Overall performance or 3D performance?

For 3D performance 2nd place is a Mitsubishi DLP, but you lose resolution so really nothing comes close.

Every other TV will have crosstalk (some of us are hoping Samsung Plasmas get a firmware update/better glasses that will help)

·
Registered
710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthTV /forum/post/19592204

Unless Samsung has stolen the patents that Panasonic acquired from Pioneer, I'd have to say that it will be light years before anyone else can match the fast burning phosphors that are unique to the VT25s and likely to be incorporated in the forthcoming VT30 series (that presumably will add the 2D to 3D feature that Panasonic incorporated into the more recent G sereis.) I'm guessing that the VT30 Series expected to be announced at next month's CES will probably be king of the hill for next year just like the VT25 sereies was for 2010.

Here is a link to the VT30 from across the pond. Anyone note significant differences from the VT25?

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&sl=de&u=http://www.3d-led-tv-2011.nl/panasonic-3d-plasma-tv.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dpanasonic%2BVT30%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26hs%3D1ND%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-USfficial%26prmd%3Divfd&rurl=translate.google.com&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhiL29_Z7BiNZXSQGQkPP6Tv0RY9kA

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I would rank every Samsung higher then every Panasonic simply because of their decision to support "All the 3D modes" not just the required ones.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliberzzz /forum/post/19590005

Whats the 2nd best 3dtv out there?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the answer you get will of course be dependent on what TV the responder happens to own. Panasonic owners will say they have the best set. Samsung owners will say they have the best set. DLP owners will tout their technology.

I own the Samsung PN63C8000 plasma and think its a great overall value; it has an outstanding 2D picture, an excellent 3D picture, a wealth of image tweaking options, it supports just about every 3D mode out there, it has internet support and it has a very good media player that supports a lot of different video codecs. All at a price that is quite aggressive relative to comparably sized TVs from other manufacturers.

At the end of the day though, the only real way to cut thru any personal bias is to go to some stores, gauge the available TVs for yourself and see what looks most pleasing to you.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy
what are 'all the 3D modes'?...is there more then one version of 3D?
Checkerboard,horizontal and vertical interleave,interlaced,top bottom,side by side,page flip,etc.

Samsung is the only 3dtv that supports all of them.

·
Registered
19,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank /forum/post/19605644

Checkerboard,horizontal and vertical interleave,interlaced,top bottom,side by side,page flip,etc.

Samsung is the only 3dtv that supports all of them.

which version is best/most used?...which does Panasonic support?

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy
which version is best/most used?...which does Panasonic support?
By far, the most used are the standards built into HDMI 1.4.

And HDMI 1.4 3D modes are the ONLY modes supported by Panasonic.

The additional modes are only useful and sometimes essential if you also use your 3DTV as a computer monitor.

For me the BEST 3D mode is checkerboard because it works with every form of media I have whether it's 2D or 3D or a combination of both with the lone exception of DirecTV 3D which I don't care much for anyway.

·
Registered
19,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
For me the BEST 3D mode is checkerboard because it works with every form of media I have whether it's 2D or 3D or a combination of both with the lone exception of DirecTV 3D which I don't care much for anyway.
I heard a lot of people complaining about the checkerboard 3D used on the Mitsubishi 3D DLP's so I thought it was not a good version

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Checkerboard 3D on the Samsung looks extremely good and definitely better then on my Mitsubishi DLP.

I am referring the the new Samsung HDMI 1.4 models, not the old DLP samsungs.

·
Registered
8,482 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliberzzz /forum/post/19590005

Whats the 2nd best 3dtv out there?

The 2nd best 3dtv out there now is the Panasonic TC-P50VT20 sold only at Best Buy. It is now $600 less than when it was first introduced, but is still more than you want to spend.

The Panasonic VT20 and VT25s are the best at 3D. None of the Samsungs have equaled the VT20, 25.

All the Samsungs suffer from at least minor ghosting, with the LCD models faring the worst in ghosting.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts