AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I don't know what to do and I would love your advice.

I've found a ZT60 60" second hand offer online. The guy lived in France and now lives in Ireland and is proposing to have the payment and delivery managed via escrow.

The ZT60 is 1700 euros (1837 USD).

I would have five days to inspect the TV when it arrives before giving my OK to the escrow.

What do you think about this deal? Any pertinent questions I should ask him? Should I take it, or wait and save up another 700 euros for an OLED 55EC930V?

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
if we assume the deal is trustworthy, i think getting a zt60 for under 2grand is a good option. i'm still not quite on board for oled yet, it just feels like it's in that stage where it's not a value-oriented product at all. i'm also a huge opponent to curved screens, and so far that's all i've seen available. that alone has me boycotted the current market.

but, i wouldn't trust that deal. i just couldn't. i don't know how you feel about it, but i'm not the kind of person that's willing to take any kind of risk like that. only way i'd buy a second hand tv is in person, after carefully viewing and inspecting it. the whole scenario sounds good if you believe it's going to work out that way, i'm just a 'nervous nancy' when it comes to that stuff, i've seen too many ppl get burned

·
Registered
11,487 Posts
I would get the ZT60 if there is no BI or other major issues. That's a decent price. On top of that, if in 6 months when the new LG OLED's come out and you like that model, you could easily sell the ZT60 for about what you paid for it today. The only thing to worry about is if the ZT fails and it is not under warranty.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i'm in the same debacle!! I'm looking for another plasma. I have a 65vt60 and bought a 4k 65hu8550 for the bedroom and its going back to BB. found a kuro 6010fd for $900 i'm really thinking about jumping on!

·
Registered
120 Posts
OLED technology will be "over priced" for a while. The price will come down in a couple years. A plasma takes a large amount of power, however, which is one reason for it's demise. The state of California was going to prohibit sales of plasma TV's due to their power consumption.

Our plasma is on about 3 hours per night on week days and 5 or so on weekends. Our utility has tiered pricing, so the plasma costs about $50/month in electricity. Something to consider. That said, short of OLED, nothing comes close to the same picture quality.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
OLED technology will be "over priced" for a while. The price will come down in a couple years. A plasma takes a large amount of power, however, which is one reason for it's demise. The state of California was going to prohibit sales of plasma TV's due to their power consumption.

Our plasma is on about 3 hours per night on week days and 5 or so on weekends. Our utility has tiered pricing, so the plasma costs about $50/month in electricity. Something to consider. That said, short of OLED, nothing comes close to the same picture quality.
Really? My 50'' kuro is on about five hours a day which costs me 13 euro's a month.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Really? My 50'' kuro is on about five hours a day which costs me 13 euro's a month.

Honestly, who cares....:rolleyes: If you enjoy it watch it!

My 65 plasma is generally on 5 hours a day weekdays, and up to 12 hrs a day weekends! Bedroom plasma 42 is on 3 hrs everynite regaurdless.

Ive never sat and calculated its cost on my electric bill, guess I have better things to do... Like enjoying wstching my plasmas....:D

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Honestly, who cares....:rolleyes: If you enjoy it watch it!

My 65 plasma is generally on 5 hours a day weekdays, and up to 12 hrs a day weekends! Bedroom plasma 42 is on 3 hrs everynite regaurdless.

Ive never sat and calculated its cost on my electric bill, guess I have better things to do... Like enjoying wstching my plasmas....:D
In general i do not care about energy costs. I actually had a reminder recently that my energy costs would be higher this year that is how i know. The 13 euro is on top of energy costs of my previous TV so it is more like 20 euro.

·
Registered
120 Posts
As I said, we have tiered pricing on electricity. Our base usage pushes us into tier 2 without the plasma being on, and the KwH consumed by the plasma as "optional use" is mostly in tier 3 where the cost of electricity more than doubles. If I used the tier 1 rate it would be more like 13 euro.

California places a pretty high surcharge on energy usage. The utility adds extra "time of use" and "peak demand" surcharges on top of the tiered rate. The 50" Pioneer we have uses about 400W.

Our electric bill would be even higher if we didn't DVR everything and skip all the commercials.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts