AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a replay 5040 that has too many issues to list. I was wondering

if I can salvage any of the hardware & build my own PVR. I have been researching software to do this but not sure if it will work. I would like to used the existing case.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Nothing worth salvaging. And the "issues" are probably a simple fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tony if you think I can salvage, here are the issues. The unit loses video signal & the only way to get it to work again is to physically unplug the unit.

The unit freezes on a regular basis, The delay when going through the menus

is insanely slow. If I can fix it, that would be great. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Loss of video signals can often be cleared up by using 2-4-3-Zones and clearing the channel guide TWICE in a row. There are also some tricks posted here , which have basically come from posts here in this very forum. If you look at the trouble shooting topic and the FAQ picks, there is also a topic about a method of power up you Replay with the coax unplugged and then plug it in. Usually one of these different tricks will do the job...

Your problem with performance may be due to the hard drive being too full. Is it almost completely full? It also could be due to bad sectors on the drive if it is retrying reading frequently. Usually you can hear the drive clicking if it is performing lots of read retries. In that case, you would need to replace the hard drive...

Henry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I will try all the tricks. Hard drive is not full at all. I just added a 160gig about a year ago. I notice that I lose the video signal when channel surfing too fast or if the unit has been off for a day or two. If I can't resolve

the issue, I plan on building my own. With all the options, it seems silly to keep paying Replay.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Hey, people use butter knives for screwdrivers too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 2-4-3 Zones trick seems to have done the trick for now. Up & running for 12 hours with no problems. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If your signal level is low then the Replay will go blue-screen and you will benefit from a drop amp - search ebay for "Electroline drop amp".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts