AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now i have a Velodyne F-1200r Sub. It is a really nice sub but my room is a little big and it seems to get 'lost'. I want to add a second sub but I only have 500-600 dollars to spend. What would make a good complimentary second sub in my setup.

I use my setup for movies 99% of the time

I'm using Atlantic technology 350THX's for the rest of the system.

I want to rumble without blowing the bank:D

My existing sub has an RCA output to be able to link to a new sub 'Daisy chain' style.

Thanks for your input!

Flan

·
Registered
15,020 Posts
from the Wife - "You paid 8,000 Dollars just so you could watch CSI in HD?!"

I love it....please tell the rest of the conversation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I picked up a Klipsch KSW-15 for about $500. It rumbles, quite nicely. It was also the third sub in my set up. Although it does take some time and effort to blend all together, I do like the results.

Although I would agree that if you do not have the time, effort ability to work with two different subs, it would be advisable to pick up the same and just stack'em in the corner

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im Considering the Velodyne CHT-15. My sub is about 5 years old and I dont know what would currently match it. The SVS subs or the HSU subs look like contenders though. Any recommendations on these?

Flan

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
If you really like the way your unit sounds, adding a second would be a low risk scenario. I have seen the 12" fsr (or was it fsx?) VELs clearance in the $599 range here and there over the past 6 months. Adding a second *F* 12" to your room will give you a 6dB increase in headroom(assuming you place it near the first mode)....that is a very nice boost to consider. Try an internet search for that model, it might turn up some good sales still going,

Tom V.

SVS

·
Registered
513 Posts
:confused: Glad I ran across this thread. I'm in exactly the same situation that Flan is in except I have an F-1500 Velodyne. I was planning on adding an SVS to compliment this as it's just not cutting it anymore. HOWEVER, I just saw an auction on EBAY for an F-1500 currently only at $300. This sounds like an awesome deal for a sub I paid $1600 for 8 years ago. I've thought about selling my Velodyne and going with a dual SVS 20-39PC+ set up but if I can't get any more than $300 or $400 for it forget it! I thought it would be at least worth $800.

I have never heard that having two different brand subs was a problem. Seems that even Tom V. is advising against mating an SVS with a Velodyne? I'm currently running 2 elcheapo KLH 10" subs butted into the couch (for a chep Buttkicker) and that seems to work fine.

I've never purchased anything through ebay and am very leery. My current Velodyne has developed audible static noises at idle and seems to be resetting its volume to zero automatically at bass levels that were previously acceptable. I think I could live with that though or send it in for repair. Dual F-1500's on either side of my 8' wide screen would look very cool. What should I do? I've been eying those SVS's for a long time now. Excited about their new box subs too since the cylinders would need to be laid on their sides under the screen to work in my configuration. Any comments would be appreciated.

Brent

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.