AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking for a second opinion someone who has more knoledge on the subject

Which ohm load should i use for my amp 2ohms or 4ohms if either way i get the same power only @4ohms its bridged and @2ohms its 400x2 im powering two subs

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Bridging isn't about power, it's about voltage swing. You use it when your amp doesn't have enough voltage swing to drive the speaker to its displacement limit. Nine times out of ten that's because the speaker has a high impedance, say 16 ohms. The tenth time is when your amp is rated at less than a quarter the power output that your speaker is.

If you do bridge when you don't need to the doubled voltage swing quadruples your chances of blowing drivers.

In short, if you don't really know what you're doing...and if voltage swing is all Greek to you, you don't... don't bridge.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Bridging an amp does give more power as long as it's also able to deliver the current.( twice the amplitude into the same load will double the current giving 4 times the power.)

"[email protected] its bridged and @2ohms its 400x2 im powering two subs"

If you mean by this that you have two 4 Ohm subs wired parallel making it a 2Ohm load to the amplifier you should not use the amplifier in the bridged configuration.

If your amp is rated 100W 8 Ohm 150W 4 Ohm its weak in current and bridging it is not recommended into a 4 Ohm load.

If Your amp is rated 100W 8Ohm 200W 4Ohm and 400 watt 2 Ohm then your good to go.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The reason bridgeable amps are rare in home audio is that bridging isn't a good idea for people who don't have experience in it. Pay attention to what Bill said above.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts