Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

My setup is

Front - B&W CM9

Center - B&W CMC2

Back - Emotiva ERD-1

Emotiva XPA-5

Emotiva XPA-2

My XPA-2 is driving my CM9's i am thinking of upgrading to monoblock and woundering what than cons and pros would be to buy 1 one more of the XPA-2 and running that in bringed or buy two XPR-1's.

They can both produce 1000w in 8 ohm. The differences i can find is that the XPR-1 should have some better components but i'm not sure if this would significant the XPR-1 is fully balanced in XLR but not sure i get to use this because of space problems.

Thanks

Anders

·
Premium Member
6,800 Posts
I don't think even you are not gonna notice any difference in performance running your XPA-2 in bridge mode or stereo mode. 300 watts for each CM9 is way more than enough to drive those speakers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24520705

I don't think even you are not gonna notice any difference in performance running your XPA-2 in bridge mode or stereo mode. 300 watts for each CM9 is way more than enough to drive those speakers.

Sometimes then i play really loud the amplifier goes i protect mode and also i can hear a little distortion in the speakers not much. Not sure if this is the amplifier or the speakers that is pushed to the limit.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Here is a neat SPL (sound pressure level) calculator you can

Use for yourself to see how many watts you are actually using.

Your speakers are rated up to 300 watts,which with the XPA-2

Should be getting you to over 106dbs at 9 feet away.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

Your speakers will not sound any better with a thousand watts

Than they do now with 300 watts.

Cons: the new amps will lighten the load on your bank balance.

I notice you don't have a subwoofer listed on your equipment.

The biggest bang for your buck would be to get a bad ass sub..

That will put a grin on your face everyday of the week...vs..

Scratching your head and trying to imagine you are hearing a

Difference with your new amps.

·
Premium Member
6,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24520750

Should be getting you to over 106dbs at 9 fee at away.

+1 Instead of new amps just get a pair of FV15HPs.

Reactions: 67jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24520750

Should be getting you to over 106dbs at 9 feet away.

Yes sometimes when we are drunk the music gets a little loud

Yeah sorry i forgot the sub i have an SVS PB-13 Ultra so there is plenty of bang
When i listen to music i seldom it because i think most music sounds best only with the front speakers. I don't think they lack bass actually i think the play very well but i haven't bought new equipment in some time so it is starting to itch in my fingers
But if i got a second XPA-2 would't it give some more headroom because the amplifier doesn't have to turned up so much to get the same volume and this would minimize the distortion.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmik  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24520866

Yes sometimes when we are drunk the music gets a little loud

Yeah sorry i forgot the sub i have an SVS PB-13 Ultra so there is plenty of bang
When i listen to music i seldom it because i think most music sounds best only with the front speakers. I don't think they lack bass actually i think the play very well but i haven't bought new equipment in some time so it is starting to itch in my fingers
But if i got a second XPA-2 would't it give some more headroom because the amplifier doesn't have to turned up so much to get the same volume and this would minimize the distortion.

A 2nd XPA isn't going to give you anymore headroom. Your speakers are distorting because

They are reaching the limits of how much power they can handle. More power will only increase

The amount of distortion you hear and possibly damage your speakers! Your speakers are rated

At 200 watts (not 300 watts as I posted above...sorry) so you are already providing them 100 watts more

Than they are speced for.

You have a killer sub...why aren't you using it with bass mgmt when you listen to music?

If you are using an AVR what kind of settings do you have set up? Ie- speakers small or large

And what x-over point are you using if any? (40-60-80hz)

If you enable bass mgmt with a x-over of say 60hz your sub will take over everything

Below 60hz. This will allow your CM-9's to play clean (less distortion) and louder because

The speakers aren't tasked with reproducing the lower notes.

The SVS will ALWAYS be able to play the lower bass notes in music louder,cleaner

And with NO distortion than your B&W's.

Think about it....if you have any questions just post.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshoppers  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24520981

A 2nd XPA isn't going to give you anymore headroom. Your speakers are distorting because

They are reaching the limits of how much power they can handle. More power will only increase

The amount of distortion you hear and possibly damage your speakers! Your speakers are rated

At 200 watts (not 300 watts as I posted above...sorry) so you are already providing them 100 watts more

Than they are speced for.

You have a killer sub...why aren't you using it with bass mgmt when you listen to music?

If you are using an AVR what kind of settings do you have set up? Ie- speakers small or large

And what x-over point are you using if any? (40-60-80hz)

If you enable bass mgmt with a x-over of say 60hz your sub will take over everything

Below 60hz. This will allow your CM-9's to play clean (less distortion) and louder because

The speakers aren't tasked with reproducing the lower notes.

The SVS will ALWAYS be able to play the lower bass notes in music louder,cleaner

And with NO distortion than your B&W's.

Think about it....if you have any questions just post.

I have a Denon 3808(Soon to be upgraded to an Emotiva XMC-1 if it gets good reviews) and use an SVS AS-EQ1 to calibrate the sub.

My crossover is set to 80hz and when i see movies the speakers is set to small but when i listen to music i usually set them to large.

When i am listening to music with the sub it sounds fine if i'm sitting in the "sweet spot" but the further i get from "sweet spot" the more uneven bass i get. This i don't get if i only use the speakers. I might be able to minimize this a little if i put the sub in sealed mode. But i'm using the system 5% for music and 95% for movies and to movies i like it in 20hz mode where i get most DB.

I considered buying the new B&W CM10 maybe that would be an better upgrade.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersmik  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24522035

I have a Denon 3808(Soon to be upgraded to an Emotiva XMC-1 if it gets good reviews) and use an SVS AS-EQ1 to calibrate the sub.

My crossover is set to 80hz and when i see movies the speakers is set to small but when i listen to music i usually set them to large.

When i am listening to music with the sub it sounds fine if i'm sitting in the "sweet spot" but the further i get from "sweet spot" the more uneven bass i get. This i don't get if i only use the speakers. I might be able to minimize this a little if i put the sub in sealed mode. But i'm using the system 5% for music and 95% for movies and to movies i like it in 20hz mode where i get most DB.

I considered buying the new B&W CM10 maybe that would be an better upgrade.
If you notice uneven bass you would be best to get a second sub.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelFisch  /t/1523974/2x-emotiva-xpa-2-or-2-x-xpr-1#post_24587931

If you notice uneven bass you would be best to get a second sub.

Yes i through about that but i live in an apartment and the first PB13-Ulrta wasn't a big hit :) But i the future i have a plan to buy a house. Then we are talking :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts