AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have these ugly beams going through the middle of the room that I want to spice up. I was going to frame them in and drywall around them but now I'm thinking of getting some nice oak or cherry boards and just covering them with that(which might be easier too). Thoughts, other ideas?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
It depends on what you are trying to accomplish -- by drywalling over them you'll minimize their visual impact on the room; by covering them with wood, you'll be highlighting their presence.

I think it is a personal design preference.

Edit: Please try to limit the size of your pics to a more manageable size. Too big!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I had the exact same beam in my basement. I just drywall'd it (as opposed to frame it off and drywall) and it worked out great.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I agree with the drywall suggestions, and also with the request to resize your photo. 640x480 really is a good enough size for most photos.

·
Registered
821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detzx /forum/post/16920171

I heard that you shouldn't nail/screen directly into beams like that. Is that true, can I attach the drywall directly to that beam or not?

You're gonna have to nail/screw into it to frame it off. Well, I guess you wouldn't HAVE to, but you likely would.

If you are worried about that, use liquid nails to attach the drywall

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by detzx /forum/post/16920171

I heard that you shouldn't nail/screen directly into beams like that. Is that true, can I attach the drywall directly to that beam or not?

Nails and screws won't hurt it. Holes in the wrong places will.

CJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.