AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2xxx periodic "quick" video signal dropout

275 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jeff D 
#1 ·
My father-in-law has a model 2xxx (forgot the exact model.) It's connected to an RCA DirecTV box. For the longest time, things have been working without any issues, but recently (past two-three weeks) he would be watching live TV through the ReplayTV box, and it the screen would go blue and the banner message at the bottom said that there was no video signal. This would only last for about a second or so and then the picture would return, uninterrrupted. This would repeat after about, say, 3 to 5 minutes, and happens about every 3 to 5 minutes.

Rebooting doesn't help the issue, and watching DirecTV directly (bypassing the ReplayTV box) never exhibits that behavior.

His hard drive has been "whining" for several months now, and we are considering purchasing a new hard drive to replace it, but my concern is that the same thing will happen with a new hard drive. If that happens, then we will just replace the box.

I do have a spare smaller hard drive that I could install temporarily just to see if the behavior continues. If we have to buy him a new box, we will, but don't want to spend the money if we don't have to.

Anyone else heard of this or experience this?

See less See more
#2 ·
No, but the drive could be the problem.

There are other potential problems you could be seeing. The first step would be to remove the disk as a suspect.

The other thing is to try a different input or composite/s-video which ever isn't used normally. The last option, cables can go bad, just from movement and such... the 3-5 minutes sounds too regular almost like a disk thing though.

#3 ·
Hey Jeff, thanks for the info!

Well, I purchased a Maxtor 120GB drive from CompUSA, removed the old drive from my father-in-law's Replay box, installed both drives into my father-in-law's Windows PX Pro box, ran the Rtvpatch app, copied the system partition, copied the MPEG partition, patched the drive, shut down, installed the new drive into the Replay box, put everything back together, booted the Replay box, and voila: One nicely upgraded system with absolutely ZERO video dropouts!

Oh, and the saved MPEG partition worked perfectly with all of his previously recorded shows intact. The system now seems nore responsive due to the 7200 RPM drive, and it is amazingly quiet. So, $140.00 later, he has 120 hours of recording time. Man, I LOVE the 2xxx series!

Thanks a bunch!!!!!

#4 ·
good job.

The 3k series is just as solid as the 2k line. The problems didn't start until SB started cutting costs.

BTW, don't remember if it was your suggestion to reverse add the clips in womble on assembly.... I did it the other day and I loved how much quicker it made the process!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.