AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering upgrading PJs, and I have what used to be considered a large screen at 160Wx67H. This is a dedicated space with no windows, dark gray walls, and a black ceiling. I have a Sony VPL-HW40ES now, with an older A-lens and automated slide that I've been using for five or so years, and I've been very happy with the image. I do have to run the PJ at max brightness to get a decently bright image, though.

That said, I'd love to have an image bright enough for HDR. I've demoed the UHZ65, and it's night and day difference from my Sony. I loved the image, and the blacks seemed to be an improvement over my 40ES. Unfortunately, I also see rainbows.

Are there any super bright, 4K, HDR capable projectors in the $4k - $5k range? Cheaper is obviously better, but I'm doubtful there's anything at even this price range. I love deep blacks, but I've been willing to sacrifice that (within reason), for a bright image. I don't find the 40ES image to be objectionable, and it clearly doesn't have the best blacks.

With the amount of time that my home theater has been used in the past four to five months (lots of hours!), if I can't find any other alternatives I may opt for a UHZ65 (or maybe even the UHZ65LV/ZK507 if I can find one for the right price).

·
Registered
802 Posts
I am considering upgrading PJs, and I have what used to be considered a large screen at 160Wx67H. This is a dedicated space with no windows, dark gray walls, and a black ceiling. I have a Sony VPL-HW40ES now, with an older A-lens and automated slide that I've been using for five or so years, and I've been very happy with the image. I do have to run the PJ at max brightness to get a decently bright image, though.

That said, I'd love to have an image bright enough for HDR. I've demoed the UHZ65, and it's night and day difference from my Sony. I loved the image, and the blacks seemed to be an improvement over my 40ES. Unfortunately, I also see rainbows.

Are there any super bright, 4K, HDR capable projectors in the $4k - $5k range? Cheaper is obviously better, but I'm doubtful there's anything at even this price range. I love deep blacks, but I've been willing to sacrifice that (within reason), for a bright image. I don't find the 40ES image to be objectionable, and it clearly doesn't have the best blacks.

With the amount of time that my home theater has been used in the past four to five months (lots of hours!), if I can't find any other alternatives I may opt for a UHZ65 (or maybe even the UHZ65LV/ZK507 if I can find one for the right price).
Native 4k i dont think there is any in that price range.
Eshifts like the uhz64 u can find some options, you have the Acer Vl7860 3000lumens that is similar to the uhz65 but some find it even better.
You have the BenQ Ht9060 2200lumens
If u want very bright you have BenQ Lk990 6000 lumens, could be found street price around the 5k range.
Other than that i dont know of any, others might know of different models.
But all of these are DLP, ur best bet not to see rbe is the benQ Ht9060 which should be minimal in that regard

Reactions: J_P_A

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Native 4k i dont think there is any in that price range.
Eshifts like the uhz64 u can find some options, you have the Acer Vl7860 3000lumens that is similar to the uhz65 but some find it even better.
You have the BenQ Ht9060 2200lumens
If u want very bright you have BenQ Lk990 6000 lumens, could be found street price around the 5k range.
Other than that i dont know of any, others might know of different models.
But all of these are DLP, ur best bet not to see rbe is the benQ Ht9060 which should be minimal in that regard
Thanks for the recommendations! I'll take a look at those. The Acer is a surprise. That's not a brand I've seen get much discussion with regards to Home Theater use in the past.

·
Registered
28,745 Posts

If you see rainbows on the UHZ65, I would make sure and see any of the DLP offerings, before purchasing. With that said, none of these projectors are going to give you 3,000 lumens calibrated. Pretty much all of the DLP's along with the native 4k projectors from Sony and JVC give you 1,600 to 2,000 lumens calibrated.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You may like the Benq HT 9060. I got one last year (refurbished) and am very satisfied with it. The rapid fire LEDs are so fast I’ve never seen a rainbow, and since humans perceive LEDs as 50% brighter than bulb based projectors so it’s always plenty bright.
The colors are amazing as is edge to edge brightness and image uniformity.
Finally the lens is one of the sharpest to be found.
Single chip DLP means no convergence errors, too, so the image is sharp with great depth.
The dynamic contrast is around 4K, which is acceptable (like a commercial movie theatre) but nothing to write home about.
No motorized lens adjustment, but that’s not a deal breaker with me. I’m currently at 134” screen and headed for 150-160” size too.
If you stick with a screen of 1.1 - 1.3 gain, you should be fine. For good 3D you need to use an ‘A’ lens and put the projector into anamorphic mode so it utilizes the entire chip.
It throws an awesome image!
Good luck!

·
Registered
265 Posts
I’ve had DLP’s going back 12 years(2 Mitsubishi rptv’ s and now the LG HU 85 Cinebeam) and eventually your brain tunes RBE out. People were saying the LG didn’t/wouldn’t have RBE, because it doesn’t have a color wheel, it is triple laser, but it has a version of it. I could see blue fringing in bright or white areas out of my peripherial vision when my eyes scanned the screen. BUT, again, your brain tunes it out and I stopped noticing it. As a matter of fact, it’s probably been weeks or longer since the last time I noticed it(maybe because I’ve been watching a LOT of TV recently). And now when ever I do, I usually tune it out again pretty quickly. Same as with the color wheel DLP’s. I’d notice it, lock-in on it for a little bit, and then tune it out.

Also... The 85 is close to your 3K lumens wish list. It’s specced at 2700 and most reviews have shown it to be every bit of it post calibration and some even getting more. LG also labels it HDR. It’s not truly, spec wise, but I wouldn’t really want the peak brightness(i.e: explosions, bright flashes, etc.) any higher in a blacked out room. If you can live with “only” 120”/16:9 and push your budget a little(I got mine from my authorized dealer last fall for $700 under list), it may be worth giving a look. I really love mine.

·
Registered
5,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
179 Posts
That looks like an amazing deal for something with 5K lumens. Its weird that it looks so similar, but so ugly compared to the Benq.
It's the wrong color for a dark room, for sure, but for the price, I could learn to love it! :D
Just add a grey screen and you're doing amazing for the price. ;)

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have used the BenQ LK970 now for over a year and have 2000 hours on it. I had it calibrated by a friend on here. It does a great job with Rec 709 SDR. Calibrated I am pushing about 2450 lumens. 26.2 FtL on my 180" wide 2.37:1 Seymour screen 17ft away from the screen with a UH480 A lens. I am satisfied with this projector until JVC hopefully someday makes a replacement for the 4500 :)

·
Registered
28,745 Posts
I have used the BenQ LK970 now for over a year and have 2000 hours on it. I had it calibrated by a friend on here. It does a great job with Rec 709 SDR. Calibrated I am pushing about 2450 lumens. 26.2 FtL on my 180" wide 2.37:1 Seymour screen 17ft away from the screen with a UH480 A lens. I am satisfied with this projector until JVC hopefully someday makes a replacement for the 4500 :)
I don't think you are getting as much screen brightness as you think you are getting. At 2,450 lumens, shooting onto a 180" wide 0.94 gain XD, you would get 18.2FL. The A-lens would have to be adding 144% increase. A 480 would only add around 15% to 20% at most. If using 20% it would be 21.9FL. The 2450 calibrated sounds about right though.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I don't think you are getting as much screen brightness as you think you are getting. At 2,450 lumens, shooting onto a 180" wide 0.94 gain XD, you would get 18.2FL. The A-lens would have to be adding 144% increase. A 480 would only add around 15% to 20% at most. If using 20% it would be 21.9FL. The 2450 calibrated sounds about right though.
Hey Mike,

How are coming up with 18.9FtL? The screen is 95sq ft (give or take a foot) 180"x76.

The meter 1 inch off the screen is 26.2 FtL in high and 18.7 in low then times by .94 gain. I have tested the lumens with 2 different meters

Steve

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
It would have to be a heck of a lot brighter replacement model - you are more in Sony VW5000 brightness territory.

·
Registered
787 Posts
It would have to be a heck of a lot brighter replacement model - you are more in Sony VW5000 brightness territory.

I would "assume" a new 4500 would be greater than 3000 lumen s. I am guessing 3500/4000 at least and calibrated back down to 2500/2800. But that might just be a pipe dream haha

·
Registered
18,116 Posts
I would "assume" a new 4500 would be greater than 3000 lumen s. I am guessing 3500/4000 at least and calibrated back down to 2500/2800. But that might just be a pipe dream haha
After 17 years in home theater, everything is a pipe dream unless proven by at least 3 reliable sources to actually exist and be what it's supposed to claim it is.

You must have a big room. I have a larger picture field of view wise with my 118" wide ST 130 scope screen - from 9'10" away, than you have on your 180" wide scope screen from 17' away. :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts