AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

About 2.5 years ago I spent $2,500 on the 58" Panasonic Plasma TC-P58V10, which was the #1 rated TV on CNET at the time. It's a THX certified Plasma capable of a 72 Hz refresh rate.

Unfortunately, a couple months ago I turned on the set to find that a 3 1/4" section of the screen is showing faint vertical lines. The lines look greenish against white and red background, and do not show at all against dark backgrounds. I recorded this video to show you what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G-fu_tNr20

I called up Panasonic, but the TV is no longer covered by warranty. They put me in touch with a TV Repair Shop who wants $150 to diagnose the issue (requiring me to bring the 150lb set to their shop a half hour away). They informed me that if it's fixable, it will most likely cost an additional $400-500, and if it's not fixable I still lose the $150. I called a few other TV Shops in the area, but they all gave me a similar story. (If anyone knows a trustworthy shop in north jersey, I'd appreciate their info).

I've spent countless hours researching online, and it seems like it could just be a loose ribbon problem, requiring some minor soldering? I've never soldered before, but I have friends that are engineers, and and could help. I wanted to see if anyone has seen a similar issue, and knows what was required to fix it?

Thanks for your help in advance!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I just came across your issue, as I have the same issue and I found the below information, thought it might be useful for you,

{"Thought I'd put this on here as it may well help some people.

I have a Hyundai HPT4240 screen. It had what appears to be a very common fault where the screen had a 1" black line down the middle of the screen.

After some digging around the Internet I found a site where one of the threads mentioned that this type of fault looked like a part of the screen not getting driven.

This gave me a clue where to look and after a few hours I have found the problem and the screen is now working fine. Its been on for the last 5 hours with no problem where as before the line was there every time I turned the screen on.

The actual fault I found:

Inside the screen at the bottom there is a driver board that goes behind the input board. This board has connectors on the bottom of it that go to the ribbon cables from the bottom of the screen. Half way along the ribbon cable there is a metal plate and on the back of this plate there are some surface mount components solderd onto the ribbon cables.

In total there are 6 of these cables. It appears each one controls a portion of the screen where it connects to the plasma screen. So I looked at the one just to the left of the middle. Where the components were soldered in one of the surface mount resistors had developed a dry joint. So with some carefull soldering I re-did all theresistors and capacitors (there are 4 of each per ribbon). Now the fault is no longer there. No need for a new screen or repair man + parts.

Total cost was about 8 hours to find the problem and 5 minutes with the soldering iron.

To get to these connectors means removing alot of parts from the screen so it takes a while but worth it. I have the unit soak testing now but will be putting it back together fully tomorrow. I can take pics of the problem and how to resolve it if anyone is interested."}

go to this link and see how you get on it will be the same fault, am going to open my Panasonic soon,

http://www.avforums.com/forums/plasma-tvs/462873-black-line-fault-hyundai-hpt4240-fixed.html

Good Luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Nazeemkhannk,

Thank you for the awesome reply! I should have updated the thread. On June 24th I dissembled the TV and located the ribbon connector that aligned with the issue. I removed the medal fastener, unhinged the plastic holding the ribbon in place, and re-set everything. After assembling back together, it's been working fine ever since! I didn't notice any physical issues with the ribbon itself, so maybe I just got lucky? Keeping my fingers crossed that the issue does not come back. If it does, I'll update the thread. Glad you had good luck with your TV as well!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts