AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My rear speakers were never put where they should have been, ear height.

My rear speakers are about 1' below an 8' ceiling on a vertical wall, the same wall as my couch. On movie nights, I move my couch about 3' forward. They are Def Tech bi-polars. The wires are already wired behind the walls for these and I have used as rears in a 5.1 system.

My thought is, should I use these as the rear Atmos/ DTS-S speakers and put 2 in the ceiling for the front Atmos speakers? This would give me a 3.1.4 for now. The Def Tech's were from another home where they had worked better for rears, I could change them out if necessary also, for a better Atmos rear speaker.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
My rear speakers were never put where they should have been, ear height.

My rear speakers are about 1' below an 8' ceiling on a vertical wall, the same wall as my couch. On movie nights, I move my couch about 3' forward. They are Def Tech bi-polars. The wires are already wired behind the walls for these and I have used as rears in a 5.1 system.

My thought is, should I use these as the rear Atmos/ DTS-S speakers and put 2 in the ceiling for the front Atmos speakers? This would give me a 3.1.4 for now. The Def Tech's were from another home where they had worked better for rears, I could change them out if necessary also, for a better Atmos rear speaker.
If you can't simply drop them to ear level you have basically 2 choices:
-Add ear level surrounds and use them as Rear Heights, add either Front Heights or Top Fronts for a 5.1.4.
or
-Add Top Fronts and simply call your existing rear speakers your Surrounds for 5.1.2, and simply live with them being too high.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you can't simply drop them to ear level you have basically 2 choices:
-Add ear level surrounds and use them as Rear Heights, add either Front Heights or Top Fronts for a 5.1.4.
or
-Add Top Fronts and simply call your existing rear speakers your Surrounds for 5.1.2, and simply live with them being too high.

I read where if you have under 9' ceilings, Atmos speakers will sound less disperse., even not disperse enough. If this is true, would I be better off having front Atmos speakers, placed on my towers, that bounce off of the ceiling and do the 5.1.2 that way. If I am going with only 2 Atmos, I may go and get another sub. I will wait and see if someone comes out with a design which will keep Atmos sound more disperse.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I read where if you have under 9' ceilings, Atmos speakers will sound less disperse., even not disperse enough. If this is true, would I be better off having front Atmos speakers, placed on my towers, that bounce off of the ceiling and do the 5.1.2 that way. If I am going with only 2 Atmos, I may go and get another sub. I will wait and see if someone comes out with a design which will keep Atmos sound more disperse.
I would stay away from upfiring unless it's your "only" option, in ceiling is much better.
As far as dispersion, Dolby spec for in-ceiling speakers is a wide dispersion, coaxial designed speaker, mounted in-ceiling with a height of between 7'6" (2x ear level) and 14', so I wouldn't worry about that at all, the big thing is to place them so they aren't directly over you to avoid hot spotting.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
disperse rating

I would stay away from upfiring unless it's your "only" option, in ceiling is much better.
As far as dispersion, Dolby spec for in-ceiling speakers is a wide dispersion, coaxial designed speaker, mounted in-ceiling with a height of between 7'6" (2x ear level) and 14', so I wouldn't worry about that at all, the big thing is to place them so they aren't directly over you to avoid hot spotting.
Thanks a lot.

1 last ?

How does one know how disperse one speaker is vs another? I have never seen this as a spec.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Thanks a lot.

1 last ?

How does one know how disperse one speaker is vs another? I have never seen this as a spec.
Honestly, it's just takes some research on the speaker your thinking about itself, by nature a coaxial designed speaker will have a fairly wide dispersion, and also most in-ceiling speakers are actually designed to have a wider dispersion .
From what many of us have found with our Atmos systems, best case scenario is a ceiling speaker that matches well with your surrounds.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts