AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may end up getting some flak for this, but I'm looking for a receiver to use with my HTPC, PS3, XBox360, etc. My room is not ideal for more speakers beyond a center and two front channels, which I plan on buying nice tower speakers and a strong center channel. I'm trying to find a receiver with at least 3 HDMI inputs, which I know isn't going to be that hard to accomplish, but not sure how most 5.1 channel receivers will handle my 3.1 setup.

Guidance, suggestions, warnings, are all welcome.

·
Registered
355 Posts
You haven't mentioned a budget, but since your needs a pretty limited I'll just assume your budget is too.

Personally I would look for one of the low end Onkyo/Denon/Pioneer receivers. Most should have 3 hdmi inputs and they all only do 5.1, but you only need 3 of the channels anyway. Also you don't need any of the fancy features on the higher end units anyway like analog up conversion since you are working in all hdmi.

Then for speakers look for a sale on something like the polk monitor series at newegg, or check out the speaker forum and do some searches for the monitor series to see what people compare them too, to see what else is in that price range.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Receivers have settings in their menus where you specify which speakers you have. They mix the sounds from the missing speakers into the existing ones. In other words, if you turn off the surround channels, those sounds will be mixed into the front channels.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For music Polks were too bright for me. Look at the Infinity Primus P362 at Frys.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. I'm not a huge fan of the polk. I had pulled up Fry's and was looking at those exact speakers yesterday after the post.

Since all of my audio will be coming through HDMI, save for radio and PC connection, any specific ideas for the receiver? Dan, I've been a fan of Onkyo for some time.

My budget isn't really an issue - I'm just wanting BANG for the buck, but since my room is precariously designed, I'm not going to be able to reap the benefits of a massively, well-designed system.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts