AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize for the newbie questions, but I've been researching and looking at 5.1 receiver manuals and can't figure out some things about a 3.1 setup. I am looking to upgrade from a 2.1 HTIB (Klipsch CS-700) to a real receiver set up. I would like to start with 3.1 and eventually go to 5.1.

Can most (or all) 5.1 or 7.1 receivers handle a 3.1 setup with no problems? I've read that when configuring the receiver, I can specify 3.1 and the surround sounds will be integrated into the fronts, but I don't know if all receivers can do that.

Can I run Audyssey with a 3.1 set up or will that only work with a full surround set up?

In case it matters, I've been looking at the $500 - $700 receivers from the common brands such as Marantz, Denon, Pioneer, Harman Kardon etc. I'm specifically intrigued by the Marantz NR1602 or SR5006.

Thanks for the help. Jon

·
Registered
4,921 Posts
Most receivers detect what's connected, whether it's 2.1, 3.1, 5.1... especially if it has audyssey. If your looking for a really good 3.1 check these out.

http://hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid15pkg.html

I have a smaller sub (vtf3mk3) and two HB-1s. My father has a full 5.1 with the same sub as me. The HB-1s are phenomenal. I was blown away at how much full and clear sound came out of them. They damn NEAR didn't need a sub. I checked a few times to make sure I was still in 2.0 when I first got them. Hardly a difference btw 2.0 & 2.1...

You can always substitute a different sub to get the price down, depending on the needs of you room and its dimensions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.