AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I think I decided a 3.1 setup is the best for my needs. I just moved into a new apartment - the main room is about 14x20 but with main listening area is 14x12. I have carpeted floors, and it would be difficult to run the rears, so I don't plan to have rears (for now). I can do towers in the front, if they are relatively small and nice looking.

What does everyone recommend for the best home theater setup around $1000? 99% tv and movies. I like punchy and vibrant sound, so I think I prefer pioneer/onkyo receiver over a Denon. I will be buying a 60" LED along with this, so I can either buy the system online, or package it with a TV to negotiate at a big box.

I listened to the Klipsch RF-42's today and thought they sounded pretty good. What do you think of them, and what sub/receiver should I pair it with?

Any other suggestions? In the past, I LOVE Definitive towers, but I don't think I can get a setup in my price range. 2.0 Towers and upgrade later? Would that be better than the Klipsch 3.1 towers?

Thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
132 Posts
A 3.1 system including the receiver for $1000 is a tall order.

That said, I would go with the Pioneer vsx- 822 receiver228.00, pioneer FS – 52 speakers180..00 and SP-C-22 center 80.00and an SVS PB 1000 subwoofer-500.00 .. Yes it's worth it. Under a grand and done.

Is it a great system?? For your budget it's phenomenal!

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer446  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24549864

How come you think I should spend so much on a sub? I was thinking more on the speakers and about 200 on a sub.

The SVS PB-1000 will is likely the best sub on the market for the money and will make your 1000.00

99%tv/ movie system sound like you payed far more than you did.

Suit yourself and get a one note boomy 200.00 pos sub if you like.

Edit: sorry if that came off harsh- every room needs a focal point to make it memorable, regardless of what you spent to put it together.

Same thing with home theater systems. A quality subwoofer,or front speakers, in a (tight) budget home theater system can provide the wow factor to an otherwise unremarkable setup.

Your $$, your choice

Cheers, Mac

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now I've confused muself.. The girlfriend really doesn't want towers. If I were to go with the definitive pro monitors (1000?) or maybe the myths line, mounted them on the wall and got a decent sub, how would those compare to the klipsch RS-42s? Out of the pro monitors and myths line, which package should I go with.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts

Quote:

How come you think I should spend so much on a sub? I was thinking more on the speakers and about 200 on a sub.

I'd been running a budget 5.1 sat/sub combo til about five yrs ago. I wanted to start upgrading and decided the sub was the first of many steps. Did my research (no pun intended I swear) and settled on the Hsu Research vtf3mk3. It was TRANSFORMATIVE. I'd been missing out on a LOT in movies. Everything just feels bigger, more intense and powerful.

My father has the hybrid 3 5.1 in a giant room and it does a fantastic job. I liked the HB-1s so much I bought a pair in rosenut, they're nice.

http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/hybrid2pkg.html

·
Banned
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayGuy  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24550044

Klipsch would be a bad choice to pair with an Onkyo or Pio receiver. Too much treble emphasis.

So you're saying neither the whole lineup of Onkyo or Pioneer receivers plays flat as has been measured many times? That they are "boosted" in the treble end of the spectrum? Can you please provide any evidence of this (I have one of each btw).

Or is it that the Klipsch speakers know when they're connected to these brands and sound even more harsh than usual?

ps OP--one way to think about lesser speakers with a better sub is that the sub will help the speakers out more than a lesser sub will help out better speakers...

As to a particular recommendation I liked the suggestions so far but can't think of a better one at your budget....and those Pioneers come in bookshelf models, too. Pinpoint AM40 wall mounts can be nice.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

Quote:

Klipsch would be a bad choice to pair with an Onkyo or Pio receiver. Too much treble emphasis.

What? How would it be different "pairing" them with a different brand? Since Klipsh is one of the most popular brands on the planet, one would assume that your opinion of them isn't universal.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts

Quote:

That is a characteristic of the speaker, not the amplifier.

Reactions: tdogroeder

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer446  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24550011

Now I've confused muself.. The girlfriend really doesn't want towers. If I were to go with the definitive pro monitors (1000?) or maybe the myths line, mounted them on the wall and got a decent sub, how would those compare to the klipsch RS-42s? Out of the pro monitors and myths line, which package should I go with.

Look at the Boston P442 L/C/R speakers, on closeout pricing. They can

be mounted vertical for L/R and horizontal for the center.

They come with both black and silver grills packed inside for color option.

I do prefer the Boston sonic signature, over Definitive and Klipsch
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosp442ba/boston-acoustics-p442-lcr-left-right-center-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/900/900/products/2011/7/065/x065P442-o_grilleon.jpeg

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2005/065/x065P442-o-1.jpeg

Still look at the Reaction Audio subwoofer. I think that no grill comes with the

Reaction Audio sub - however, double check with them.

Also, look at the HSU STF-2 subwoofer
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zieglj01  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24550922

Look at the Boston P442 L/C/R speakers, on closeout pricing. They can

be mounted vertical for L/R and horizontal for the center.

They come with both black and silver grills packed inside for color option.

I do prefer the Boston sonic signature, over Definitive and Klipsch
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/bosp442ba/boston-acoustics-p442-lcr-left-right-center-speaker-black-each-new/1.html

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/900/900/products/2011/7/065/x065P442-o_grilleon.jpeg

http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/400/300/products/2005/065/x065P442-o-1.jpeg

Still look at the Reaction Audio subwoofer. I think that no grill comes with the

Reaction Audio sub - however, double check with them.

Also, look at the HSU STF-2 subwoofer
http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/stf-2.html

Thanks! I'll check these out. Do you know anywhere that sells them locally so I can give them a listen? That is the problem with a lot of these speakers.. I don't have a place to listen to them to compare, just have to go off of reviews. Since I've heard definitive many times, I know what those sound like.

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jer446  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24551164

Thanks! I'll check these out. Do you know anywhere that sells them locally so I can give them a listen? That is the problem with a lot of these speakers..
Not at this time, since the speakers are on close-out pricing. With my experience with Boston

speakers - they make all around good stuff, and it is hard for them to make a bad speaker.

I have owned a few of their speakers.

Some insight about their P series - a review of the P400 soundbar
http://hometheaterreview.com/boston-acoustics-p400-three-channel-soundbar-speaker-reviewed/

Enjoy the adventure

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:

If you're going to be using it primarily for movies I would do some serious spending on the sub. While there are some decent options around $200, the product you're getting for $500 is going to be night and day. The return on that additional $300 at that price point really is staggering. Honestly as others have said, you've got a tough task trying to go to 3.1 with a AVR for under $1000, however here are my picks:

Speakers: Pioneer Andrew Jones collection. Fronts and center should run you right around $300.

AVR: Pioneer VSX-822 which should be right around $250.

That leaves you with $450, I would spring for the SVS PB-1000.

That would give you a pretty decent 3.1 system for $1050.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

If I spent the extra money on Definitive Pro Cinema's, would that be worth the money?

·
Registered
29,118 Posts

·
Registered
19,833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt  /t/1525085/3-1-setup-for-1000#post_24553489

The SM45's are $199 each. How is he going to get 3 of those, SVS PB1000 and a AV receiver for $1000?

His statement and question in post #17 was, what if I spent extra mony (on the ProCinema)?

So, the response was to that > it seems that the budget may not be written in stone.

What receiver and sub he buys is up to him.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts