AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm setting up a basic 5.1 surround system and for room layout reasons I have a pair of dual voice coil in ceiling speakers for the rears. Currently I have a hodgepodge for my front speakers and no sub. I'd like to get two front, a center and a sub. I'm thinking for the fronts and center I need to go small and with a high WAF. The sub can be almost anything as a have a perfect location for it.

I was initially looking at the Mirage Nanosat 5.1 before I acknowledged my rear speaker situation. They are pretty slick looking an didn't cost a lot.

I'm hoping that the great combined wisdom of the forum will come up with the perfect solution.

·
Registered
30,168 Posts
without a budget it's hard.... but if you want small speakers with good sound and high WAF, it will be hard to beat the Energy RC-Mini sale at Vann's ($99 shipped each in cherry):

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

they are superb little speakers and will blow away any "micro sat" with 2.5-3.5" woofers. Because they are a bit larger they can support a crossover of 100-120hz without leaving a "hole" in the mid-bass response. Plus the veneer is high quality real-wood and they are very heavy and robust for the size.

Another well-reviewed option that is almost exactly the same size is the Era D3, which msrp for the same as the RC-Mini's but you won't find them on sale as cheap as the current Vann's price.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/18162917

without a budget it's hard.... but if you want small speakers with good sound and high WAF, it will be hard to beat the Energy RC-Mini sale at Vann's ($99 shipped each in cherry):

they are superb little speakers and will blow away any "micro sat" with 2.5-3.5" woofers. Because they are a bit larger they can support a crossover of 100-120hz without leaving a "hole" in the mid-bass response. Plus the veneer is high quality real-wood and they are very heavy and robust for the size.

Another well-reviewed option that is almost exactly the same size is the Era D3, which msrp for the same as the RC-Mini's but you won't find them on sale as cheap as the current Vann's price.

+1 to both. era D3 is worth the extra $ if you have it.

Ron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig /forum/post/18162917

I haven't set a specific budget I guess I was hoping to make the most of price vs performance at the low end of quality or just find a really good deal that would make me justify spending a little more. That being said I realize without a budget it is really hard for people to help. So if I had to set a number I guess around $600 would be my ideal budget.

The Energy RC-Mini is a great deal and a great speaker that I would buy right now, BUT... as attractive as the cherry is everything else I own is black so it kills the WAF. I assume that's why those are on sale and not the black since most people aren't looking for wood.

I'd love to be in that price range for each speaker but I assume I need to go higher unless there are other deals as good as this one.

What about the center? Would you get a speaker designed for that purpose or the same as the front pair as some kits seem to offer?

Also any suggestions on the sub? There always seems to be good deal on those kicking around somewhere.

So are there any other deals like the RC-Micro around?

What about the Energy Take 5 Pack and sell off the rears then buy a sub? Possibly the BIC F12 ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts