AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Looking to get some expert advice here, as I am getting ready to upgrade my current setup (SW's only, at this time).

I just moved to a new house, so I can continue my journey (yaay).

Current setup:
Denon AVR X1000
Def Tech SM45 (LR)
Def Tech SM65 (C)
Dayton 1200 ((x2) SW)

I'll eventually upgrade the LR and move the SM45's to the rear for 5.2; but I'm going to address the budget SW's first (after a great deal of reading).

My room (diagram below) is currently ~1554cu.ft but we'll be knocking out a wall in the Spring bringing it to at least 3300+cu.ft (wall is red in diagram). Now, I don't necessarily care about hearing/feeling the LFE in the kitchen...but I know opening things up will make a difference in the main listening area, so there's that.

I don't care much about looks, as long as it passes the spouse test (current Daytons aren't exactly center-folds, so I don't think this will be hard).

My initial budget is around 1100-1200. I can stretch a bit if need be, but I don't want to keep 1-upping models and end up closer to 2k than 1k.

DIY is not really an option for me.

My system is almost all tv/movie; a little game and almost no music. So anything that hits hard, gets low, and gets loud for the 'splosions is fine by me :)

My choices (FINALLY!);

XV15se (will eventually add another, but likely not at least for a year)
XV15 (x2 (there is a pair of them, used, fairly local to me for 1k))
Outlaw LFM-1 (x2)
Other suggestions??

My stretches...(will eventually add another of same model, but it's realistically outside of my allotted budget for a SW unless it's leaps and bounds above the others listed).

XV30se
FV15HP
Other Suggestions??

I know my list is fairly limited, but these seem to come up most in conversations that I've read. Thanks anyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more question; (double post...yessss)...

Is there a large enough difference in the XV15 vs "se" to justify the ~$500 additional cost of having 2 of the se's vs the non se's? I have little doubt the newer se's sound better, but I'm curious if the return on that $500 is worth it. The opinion of anyone who has heard both would be of great benefit.

Thank you!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
aaannnd I'll be talking to myself for the duration of the program...

After spending hours (and hours) reading through countless arguments between shady, basshead, and quite a few others (for a few days now), I think I have ruled out the Outlaw's, even the EX's, even though they are 599 shipped right now. Would be nice to get brand new, but if even the older XV15's are better, 1k for two of them seems the better deal (they still have some warranty on them anyway). The debate waged long enough across multiple threads and I feel the XV15 came out the winner.

Now back to my main question...

2 XV15's comparable vs 1 of the se models (eventually going to duals) or is it simply not worth the investment for dual se's vs the already capable XV15's?

That said, again, 1 XS30se a significant improvement over 2 XV15's? it's only $250 more for the 30 series...No free shipping on the Rhythmik FP15HP so that extra 200 pretty much pushes it out of the running...cool running...killin me smalls.

I'll reply to myself with what i find lol

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
Wondering why diy is not an option ? Are you in an apartment ? 200 bucks in tools at harbour freight and your ready to go. Can go even less with just clamps if need be. At 1200$ price point you can build two sub's as good as any one commercial under 2 k. Can build three as good as PSA xv15.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wondering why diy is not an option ? Are you in an apartment ? 200 bucks in tools at harbour freight and your ready to go. Can go even less with just clamps if need be. At 1200$ price point you can build two sub's as good as any one commercial under 2 k. Can build three as good as PSA xv15.
well there is a harbor freight close by...haha.

DIY isn't necessarily out of the question, but between kids, new house, wife, giant derp dog, pool, and working well over 40hrs a week...my time is extremely limited. The convenience of commercial subs (or anything) is pretty hard to pass up at this stage of life.

I did start browsing the DIY & your Martysub flatpack threads...but I'm thinking that may be a tad too much tinker-time for me right now.

Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
5,848 Posts
drwinlied: Two good subs are usually the way to go over one very good sub. It depends upon your room and how much coverage one sub will give you without incurring the dreaded room modes at the listening position(s). If you have one listening position (like the size of a couch), one sub could work just fine. If you have a larger area that needs to be covered, or two different areas, you are probably better off getting that second sub.

The 3,300 cu. ft. volume puts you into the "large room" category, but just barely. I have a single SB13-Ultra that is pulling duty in a 3,500 cu.ft. area and a single XS30 pulling duty in another room that is about 3,400 cu. ft. For me, both are more than enough to fill my needs and then some, but each person's needs and desires are different. From those subs that you listed, I simply don't see a bad choice. Talk to the companies and get a feel from them, then make a selection. If you're not happy, go with something else (for a limited time PSA is offering free return shipping on the XV15se and XS15se).

Never mind. I see you already made your choice in two XV15se's. Be prepared to have things shake off your tables and walls!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts