Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please explain to me...

I have read in various posts that some (or all) progressive DVD players do the 3:2 pulldown. So, if I had such a dvd player, why would I want a television that has that feature. Is it is too late in the video path for the tv to restore the quality.

Can it improve the quality of movies on HBO-HD?

Tom

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tombarry:
I have read in various posts that some (or all) progressive DVD players do the 3:2 pulldown. So, if I had such a dvd player, why would I want a television that has that feature.

Can it improve the quality of movies on HBO-HD?
Yes . . . you answered your own question. 3:2 pulldown can help other video sources such as Cable, satellite, VHS, terrestrial, etc.

But for DVDs, it is best done in the DVD player since it can be done in the digital domain before becoming analog.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
The dvd also has other clues on it that help it do it. I don't think the devices built into TV's are nearly as good as the ones that you buy seperately (they're called scalers, good ones go for $4k-$5k).

Also, there are only two consumer scalers that I know of that can do this on HD (ie 1080i) signals: The $25k Faroujda 5000, and the $5k vigatec. Also, your TV would have to be able to handle 1080p: such units are few and far between.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WOW! Such rapid response.

Can the 3:2 pulldown on the tv do anything for dvds? If not, then why would other sources matter coming into the component video input?

I really think the 3:2 has to be done at the source. The 'clues' are lost after that. Does HBO-HD broadcast the clues and the 3:2 source information?

Do all progressive scan players do 3:2 pulldown?

Thanks,

Tom

[This message has been edited by tombarry (edited 07-10-2001).]

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Can the 3:2 pulldown on the tv do anything for dvds?
Sure . . . my TV with 3:2 pull-down makes the picture from my *non*progressive DVD player better.

>I really think the 3:2 has to be done at the source. The 'clues' are lost after that. Does HBO-HD broadcast the clues and the 3:2 source information?

The "clues" you are talking about are flags in the MPEG stream. Ironically, the "clue" flags in many DVDs are *wrong*. Some progressive DVD players just ignore them.

HBO-HD is HD already, so no need for the "clues" (Gee . . . I guess they could help a 1080P display but suspect no more than 1 or 2 consumers own such displays.)

Quote:
Do all progressive scan players do 3:2 pulldown?
Some better than others (The Pioneer-434 does a lousy job).

Here is more info that you wanted to know about Progressive DVD players: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...e-10-2000.html

That is a *great* article.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Yes a TV with 3/2 pulldown can and will produce a decent progressive image from a non-progressive DVD player. A high end set such as the Pioneer or a Philips will produce the best jaggie free picture. Yes, the information is there to produce a progressive image from any source, even broadcast standard definition TV. I have a Philips 64PH9905 and even the commercials look good. Material shot with video cameras

doesn't look nearly as good as film based stuff. If you want the absolute best DVD image, get an HTPC (Home Theater Personal Computer).

Note: No, I am not a new member, but I guess if you don't log in or post for a while you get bumped off the server. Formerly I was PM. Finally got a good 9905 after 2 sent back. Now happily enjoying DVD in 600P and HD with TWC.

[This message has been edited by Patrick McGuire (edited 07-10-2001).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.