AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please excuse the newbie question,but if both your dvd player and tv offer 3:2 pulldown,should the processing be on with both units or on with one and off on the other.If only one should be on,which one should it be.Thank you very much for any input.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Only one should be on. 3:2 pulldown is part of the deinterlacing process, which transforms a 480i signal into a 480p. Once you have a progressive signal, deinterlacing isn't necessary any more.

As to which one should perform the deinterlacing, it depends on the quality of each unit. If you player has a good deinterlacing chip in it and your TV has a poor one, then use your DVD player.

Find out the deinterlacers used in each, and do some reasearch:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com has a "DVD player shootout" which rates progressive scan DVD players.

Also, try switching back and forth between the DVD player's deinterlacer and your TV's. Which one looks better?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
My Pioneer progressive scan DVD player did not have an on/off switch for 3:2 pulldown, does it mean it will automatically come on . Thanks.

Alex

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You never need to turn it off on the TV - it should be left on all the time (unless you're seeing lots of combing artifacts, in which case it's time to start saving for a new TV). When your TV gets a progressive-scan signal, it will automatically route the signal around the deinterlacer, so the settings don't matter in that case.

However, it does matter when you're watching regular TV, VHS, etc. Any decent TV made in the last two or three years should be able to automatically switching between film and video deinterlacing just fine. However, some of them (like some Mitsubishis) misleadingly label their "auto" mode as "film."

Thus my advice is that if you TV has an auto mode for deinterlacing, leave it on. If it has a "film" mode, leave it on. If you start to see annoying deinterlacing artifacts (combing being the most common), turn off the film mode and get a new TV.

Don

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.