AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, apologies if this is the wrong forum, but it seemed the most appropriate.

Due to the layout of my media room it cannot accommodate surround speakers. I do about 70/30 movies and gaming, using 5.1 uncompressed on an Xbox One, and so far it's not been glaringly obvious that I'm missing a few speakers. My question is how much audio information am I missing, is my receiver downmixing, or still sending a signal to the missing channels? I suppose if surround speakers would make a huge difference I could do a little room reconstruction, but otherwise I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Surround speakers make a HUGE difference. Definitely worth having these, even it if means some work.

I have invited many co-workers over to see a move. All of them were completely blown away (even though I have 4.2 with no center channel).

Then we listened some acoustic rock. Again, they were stunned.

If I had unlimited money (and understanding wife), 11.4 would be the absolute minimum

In fact, quite a few of my co-workers got addicted and got themselves a 5.1 system.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
IMO surround speakers do make a huge difference. Instead of the sound just being in front of you, you are wrapped in sound. Also for me the law of diminishing returns starts after 7.2, so I would always go for 7.2 if space was appropriate. If you play 1st person shooter games I would think that surround speakers would help out a lot.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru  /t/1521859/3-2-setup-what-am-i-missing-by-not-having-surround-speakers#post_24462806

IMO surround speakers do make a huge difference. Instead of the sound just being in front of you, you are wrapped in sound. Also for me the law of diminishing returns starts after 7.2, so I would always go for 7.2 if space was appropriate. If you play 1st person shooter games I would think that surround speakers would help out a lot.

Yeah not sure there is much reason to go beyond 7.1 yet. There aren't that many 7.1 mixes to begin with, so I'm yet to be sold on 9.1 or higher.

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
I suggest that you convert to a 5.2 system.

PSB makes some decent in-wall speakers that you could use for that.

The PSB CW-160R speakers are what I would suggest.

They are not cheap, but cheap in-wall speakers are terrible.

Do it right or don't do it.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm often willing to take the opposite position. I have a surround system in my family room and a 2.1 system in my bedroom. I enjoy watching movies with the bedroom system and don't really miss the surround sound when I am doing so. My position is that the surround is audible and adds to the experience but, instead of providing a "huge" difference I would say it provides a subtle difference. I should also note that the surround content isn't lost without using surround channels. It is simply redirected to the front.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketnis  /t/1521859/3-2-setup-what-am-i-missing-by-not-having-surround-speakers/0_100#post_24462730

First, apologies if this is the wrong forum, but it seemed the most appropriate.

Due to the layout of my media room it cannot accommodate surround speakers. I do about 70/30 movies and gaming, using 5.1 uncompressed on an Xbox One, and so far it's not been glaringly obvious that I'm missing a few speakers. My question is how much audio information am I missing, is my receiver downmixing, or still sending a signal to the missing channels? I suppose if surround speakers would make a huge difference I could do a little room reconstruction, but otherwise I'm not sure it's worth the effort.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

You need to listen to a surround system and a front only system and decide for yourself how much it matters.  That it is a big deal to some people, and not to others, really is not very helpful for how important it is to YOU.  As FMW states, the audio will be downmixed to the front if you only have front speakers and set things up properly, so you will get all of the sound, just not always from the correct direction.

In my opinion, it all depends on the source and on how much money you have.  The source, because some sources are not multichannel, and the money because I would rather have one pair of really good speakers than a bunch of crappy speakers.  Frankly, I would go with 2 channels only if my budget were anything up to $1500, and likely stay with 2 channels until my budget exceeded $3k.  But I like expensive, good speakers, and they matter far more to me than having a bunch of lesser speakers.  That, of course, is of little use to you, as my opinion is not necessarily the same as your opinion, and it is your opinion that should guide your decision.  To form an opinion, it is good to listen to as many different options as reasonably possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts