AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using Snell K.5mkII for the front speakers and am trying to decided on a center. Should I use a in-wall version of the K.5mkII (AMC700) or a MTM arranged CR.5mkII. Both center speakers are timber matched to within .5 db of the K.5. The AMC700 uses a 6.5 woofer and a tweeter that can be directed towards the listener. I'm using these for the surrounds. The CR uses 2 5" woofers and a tweeter.

I've seen some discussion on the topic before.. I've seen some people say 3 identical towers works best... same should apply of monitors. I've seen some people talk about issues with poor off center dispersion with the MTM arrangement. If this is the case why do so many manufactures use this for center? I would like to use the AMC700 but will not be able to do a direct compare to the CR.5.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have personally never heard a laying on the side MTM that sounded right to me. In most of the discussions I've seen, the reason is purely marketing. Buyers want low and wide instead of tall for centers. Many of the better centers like the Aerials and ACIs use stacked mids and tweets with side mounted woofers. If you have the space, I'd think that three matched monitors across the front would be ideal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you hit on something... For the most part people like the way a short wide speaker look when they lay it on top of the TV a little more integrated.. as compared to a tall speaker that may look like a box someone left behind... The inwall version will even have lower visual impact.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.