AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How often do they send down this upgade? I'm about to get an UTV and I've tried them at the 3.0 firmware. They are SLOW. I just want to make sure I can easily get the 3.5 firmware via the satellite stream.

Ty!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Your system should update automatically within 48 hours.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Call UTV before you buy it.... it's a good question...

Speed...

UTV's are slower.... even with 3.5 update... better than 3.0 ... my DTiVo had a slow guide but faster (menus )... my Hughes HDTV receiver is faster then both of them.. but it doen't have PVR.. but it's slower than a Non-APG unit.

Good Luck...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I upgraded a buddy's UTV last weekend. When the UTV dialed in to get the download, it got 3.5. No satellite stream upgrade needed.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yea but unless you upgrade you will have to wait for the upgrade at 3am...

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed the DTV dish and connected my new UTV receiver last night. We are going on vacation in a few days so I decided not to activate service till we get back.

Today the UTV showed that it has upgraded the software, but I don't know how to confirm the SW version (the option that was there in settings is now gone). How do I confirm?

Also of interest, I do not have a phone line connected at this time. I will connect when I call to activate.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just added a new UTV system at home about 2 weeks ago. It shipped with the older version of the software. After installation, the software was automatically upgraded to 3.5 overnight via satellite. So I can guarantee the 3.5 software is still in the system.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
HOME>settings>should say something about version or so....

·
Registered
151 Posts
The 3.5 upgrade will be on the satellite until the next release. There will always be product in the retail chain with older software so Microsoft will always broadcast the latest software via satellite so those boxes will be upgraded (in the first day or two) once they've been purchased.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just as a quick confirmation on the upgrade still being available:

Last night my UTV box started making horrible grinding and squeeking noises and it became clear really quick that the drive was about to go. I went down to Fry's (a retail chain in the SF Bay Area) and found a WD120GB drive (the 5400 rpm AB model) OEM for $169. Brought it home, spent 5 minutes putting the new drive in, and lo and behold, everything works great. It took about 2 hours to download 3.5 and now my UTV says that I have approx. 105 hours of recording. I'm sure my wife thinks I destroyed the drive just so that I could buy the larger one :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.