AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to run an HDMI splitter off of my HD cable box, to provide cable to the family tv (3 ft away) and my upstairs projector, about 100 ft away. Also, I have an IR blaster with emitter cables for the projector setup, and would like to extend an emitter the 100 ft to the HD cable box.

Will an IR emitter work over a 100 ft cable length? Also, how many times can I split a 3.5mm cable to provide for more emitters?

The wireless solutions look nice, but I could spend probably 10 bucks on a cable and not have to worry about any potential interference with my other RF devices.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
They make dual emitters that are powered off one plug. So splitting it once shouldn't be a problem normally. That being said, I wonder how much signal loss their will be over 100 feet? It's possible that the amount of signal loss due to distance and the signal loss due to splitting might be too much.

Honestly you'll probably just have to try it.

·
Banned
1,614 Posts

Quote:
how many times can I split a 3.5mm cable to provide for more emitters?

The emitters are LEDs, typically driven at 20mA, it would depend on where the current limiting resistor is (source or at the emitter) and what value it is.

If the driver was designed to drive one LED, it's current limiting resistor would be chosen to limit current to about 20mA.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts