AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,454 Posts
HDMI will pass a digital multi-channel audio feed (if present). The 3.5mm plug/cable will pass an analog 2 channel stereo feed.

Why would you connect the audio to the projector....why not the HD source device (dvd/Blu-ray player, a/v receiver, etc.) ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter  /t/1468534/3-5mm-jack-audio-vs-hdmi#post_23210902

HDMI will pass a digital multi-channel audio feed (if present). The 3.5mm plug/cable will pass an analog 2 channel stereo feed.

Why would you connect the audio to the projector....why not the HD source device (dvd/Blu-ray player, a/v receiver, etc.) ?

First I don't want to buy an A/V receiver (more wires, more costly).

I don't want to connect it to the HD source since I want my PS3, cable TV and my computer connected to the projector.

This way I only have to change the projector's input to go to my computer, TV or PS3.

If I connect the audio to my PS3 I won't get sound when watching TV or when Im on my computer ? Am I wrong ?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hi Noal,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noalkain  /t/1468534/3-5mm-jack-audio-vs-hdmi#post_23210916

First I don't want to buy an A/V receiver (more wires, more costly).

I don't want to connect it to the HD source since I want my PS3, cable TV and my computer connected to the projector.

This way I only have to change the projector's input to go to my computer, TV or PS3.

If I connect the audio to my PS3 I won't get sound when watching TV or when Im on my computer ? Am I wrong ?
Then I think you should forgo that soundbar - you would be waisting your money.

That soundbar is designed for 5.1 surround-sound, and the 3.5 mm jack will only give you stereo. Four out of its six channels would go unused.

Unless you can drive that soundbar with HDMI, you would be better off, from a sound-quality perspective, with a stereo amplifier and a good pair of speakers.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkHotchkiss  /t/1468534/3-5mm-jack-audio-vs-hdmi#post_23211023

Hi Noal,

Then I think you should forgo that soundbar - you would be waisting your money.

That soundbar is designed for 5.1 surround-sound, and the 3.5 mm jack will only give you stereo. Four out of its six channels would go unused.

Unless you can drive that soundbar with HDMI, you would be better off, from a sound-quality perspective, with a stereo amplifier and a good pair of speakers.

Ok thanks a lot for your input !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts