AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of computer speakers-Klipsch 5.1's with a sub-that I bought years ago and have been using in my bedroom, connected to the HTPC. It works great. The speakers plug into the sub module via bare wire and the plugs come out of the sub and plug into the PC's audio jacks via 3.5mm stereo male plugs.

So I'm looking to put a cheapy receiver ($50 STR-DG500 on eBay Yay!) in there because the wife made me put in a dedicated DVD player (She doesn't want to go through the hassle of playing through the PC) and I want to run the sound from that through the Klipsch 5.1's rather than the TV speakers. I'm going to connect the PC via optical and the DVD player via Coaxial. (Or optical there too if I can)

My question then, is this: I can easily plug the speakers into the receiver, because they already have bare wire cables, BUT, how can I plug the sub into the receiver? I believe (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the center and sub share a plug coming from the sub (The orange one I think?)

Would I use like a 3.5mm stereo female plug to RCA stereo male and just plug like the white one (or red) into the back of the receiver in the "Sub" port?

I wouldn't think that a stereo 3.5mm female to mono RCA male would work because it's a stereo signal right?

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Chris

PS: I'm pretty sure this is what I have, or at least something very similar. The parts all look like what I have, and I'm pretty sure the picture of the back of the sub matches what I have. I suppose the wattage or whatever could be different, but I wouldn't think that would matter -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836119106

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
The easiest way is to bypass the amp on your new AVR and go straight to the Klipsch with a line level signal. Your amp has analog audio outputs, but I suspect what the spec sheet's referring to are the MD/Tape and Video1 recording outputs. As such, they are not affected by the AVR's volume control, so as long as you didn't use the PC to adjust volume, you're back where you were.

All you need is an RCA-to-stereo mini jack cable, if this is the answer. If its not, you still need this cable.

The alternative is direct wiring, speakers to the AVR, subwoofer to the AVR Sub Out. I suspect you'll need the same cable, and perhaps a splitter to drive both sides of the cable from one sub out. Now the AVR controls everything, but you may have issues setting up the sub the way you want, as you haven't bypassed it's crossover. It all depends how Klipsch does their electronics...

HAve fun,

Frank

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.