Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a day or so, Here's a few quick ones for me:

Caller Id - terrific idea but doesn't work when on the phone with call waiting caller id, and if I recall, when the screen saver kicks in, it doesn't wake up on a call (might be wrong on this) - great for what it does do

(year) in movie blurbs w/o having to go deeper - great

info page - still no indicator of how much time till live, seems the amount recorded so far is correct (used to sometimes work, other times listed show length) - not so great

Opinions?

·
Registered
8 Posts
So far, I like everything about the upgrade except one strang thing. First, the good stuff:

1) Caller ID on-screen is cool. We screen all of our calls and it's much easier to see the name/number on the TV than on the little telephone display, when we're watching a show. Plus, you can look at the call history to see all the recent calls that have come in plus their date/time.

2) Deleting multple shows is great!

3) Recording shows in a series is finally fixed so that once you manually delete a show, it will not re-record it over and over again (at least, not within 30 days). Awesome.

4) More search capabilities, nice but I don't know if I'll use it much.

5) Moving PIP window - I couldn't care less. I rarely use PIP.

The bad:

1) The only thing that is bad that I've found is related to recording extra time beyond the normal time slow. In the past, when recording shows back to back on the same channel, it would record a few minutes extra at the end of the first show and it would include those same extra minutes in the beginning of the next show (assuming it was the same channel and the time slow was immediately following). NOW, however, it still records the extra minutes at the end of one show but it doesn't include them in the beginning of the next.

Here's what happened:

Recorded an hour-long "Friends" (or some show) and then recorded "ER". Same channel. Back to back time slots. The first few minutes of ER were at the end of Friends. But those few minutes were NOT at the beginning of ER. So if we had stopped watching Friends and deleted it, we would have missed the first few minutes of ER. 3.5 did not have this problem. I hope it can be fixed!

That's all for now.

Kent

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
I've experienced this issue in 3.5 when recording Knight Rider and Roswell back to back on Sci-Fi. The beginning or Roswell sometimes gets clipped, although sometimes the end of KR gets clipped, as well. I'm not sure if my clock is not updating accurately, Sci-Fi is not running accurately on the hour mark, my UTV isn't padding those shows properly or some combination of those. It only seems to be happening on those two shows. Nothing else is recording at that time.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kentschu

[Here's what happened:

Recorded an hour-long "Friends" (or some show) and then recorded "ER". Same channel. Back to back time slots. The first few minutes of ER were at the end of Friends. But those few minutes were NOT at the beginning of ER. So if we had stopped watching Friends and deleted it, we would have missed the first few minutes of ER. 3.5 did not have this problem. I hope it can be fixed!

Kent [/b]
I am curious if you had another show recording with the same start time as ER?

If you have two shows back not back on same channel, with nothing else scheduled, you will get some of the beginning on one show and some of the end on the later. This is due to the soft padding.

Even now though, if you have the following

1 show 8-9pm ch. 4

1 show 9-10pm ch. 4

1 show 9-10pm ch. 7

Something has to give up its soft padding, since you only have two tuners. This can cause a problem, especially when networks due not stick with their schedule and a show runs long.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Like I mentioned above, I had a similar problem under 3.5. Nothing but the two back-to-back shows was recording.
Was one of your tuners acting up?

My experience jives with Staind. If not recording a show on a different channel with 3.5, would get 1 minute at the start and 5 minutes at the end even when it overlapped the other recording on the same channel. If another show was set to record simultaneously on a different channel then would get the no-overlap scenario described above.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NetworkTV
Like I mentioned above, I had a similar problem under 3.5. Nothing but the two back-to-back shows was recording.
Like NetworkTV, I've was experiencing this problem well before 3.7. It is especially noticeable on NBC during "Must See Thursdays" where, like many others, I record programs back-to-back. I just figured it was a time synchronization issue where the station's clock doesn't match DTV's.

On different stations, some will start recording early while others will start recording late. I haven't really investigated the problem to see if it's isolated to just Scheduled Series or all programmed recordings.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by watching
Was one of your tuners acting up?

My experience jives with Staind. If not recording a show on a different channel with 3.5, would get 1 minute at the start and 5 minutes at the end even when it overlapped the other recording on the same channel. If another show was set to record simultaneously on a different channel then would get the no-overlap scenario described above.
The last tuner problem I had was when I jarred a connection loose in a closet where the lines come in several days ago. I fixed that right away (scared the hell out of me, too) and have never had any other tuner issues since the growing pains when I first installed the unit and the extra line into the apartment.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I don't want to sound like I'm nit-picking, but it would be nice if the buffer recording worked something like this:

When you hit the REC key, a prompt comes up and offers you 3 choices:

1). Record from this moment on.

2). Record from the beginning of the program on the guide (if its buffered that far).

3). Record the entire buffer.

There are some programs where I'd like to record just a few minutes instead of an entire half an hour.

No big deal, I'm happy we can record the buffer now.

·
Registered
17,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by OmegaMan
I don't want to sound like I'm nit-picking, but it would be nice if the buffer recording worked something like this:

When you hit the REC key, a prompt comes up and offers you 3 choices:

1). Record from this moment on.

2). Record from the beginning of the program on the guide (if its buffered that far).

3). Record the entire buffer.

There are some programs where I'd like to record just a few minutes instead of an entire half an hour.

No big deal, I'm happy we can record the buffer now.
That doesn't sound like a nitpick to me. I'd like that feature. That's how it really should work.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I like...

-how favorites now work

-the guide 3 & 12 hour advance

-the record from buffer

-being able to shut it off when recording, and that it shuts down faster

-slightly faster channel changes

The only thing I REALLY wish they would have added, and it seems like such a simple thing, is to enhance the progress bar with the current time, time till live and time remaining.

Oh... and the ability to extract the video to my PC... yeah right.

Al

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kentschu
3) Recording shows in a series is finally fixed so that once you manually delete a show, it will not re-record it over and over again (at least, not within 30 days). Awesome.
This is definitely my favorite new feature. The other feature I really appreciate is the ability to skip ahead in the guide without pulling out the keyboard.

·
Registered
524 Posts
That 30 day window depends on the history file... if you delete it all bets are off..

As for padding it will pad before and after when it can.. otherwise no padding on back to back "usually".. depend if your watching a channel at the time or unit is off and both channels are free. If you have one or two tuners, etc.

UTV depends on the guide and the start stop to be in accordance with the information from the programmers and their data streams to be fed in a timely manor.

In that respect I don't see any obvious changes from 3.5 in that regards.

There are also slight delays depending on uplinks, direct feeds and so on.. much of what goes up on dtv is also being feed to cable.. also why the guides seem in correct at times as the info is the same as used for cable, good example is DD 5.1 on cable but not dtv... and so on..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like...

-how favorites now work

-the guide 3 & 12 hour advance

-the record from buffer

-being able to shut it off when recording, and that it shuts down faster

-slightly faster channel changes

How do you use the 3 &12 hour guide?

And if you shut off the unit while it's recording, does it still record while off?

:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
i record 7 days @ 4 on TNN, knight rider @ 5 on SCIFI, and highlander @ 5 on TNN, every day, and the show is there completly? Also, the other night we recorded the Friends episode that went 5 min over, and it continued to record even recorded an extra 5 min past the scheduled time. Are you saying we loose this with 3.7? cause i'm still at 3.5?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glove
How do you use the 3 &12 hour guide?

And if you shut off the unit while it's recording, does it still record while off?

:confused:
The 3 hour advance can be done by hitting the Skip or Replay buttons on your remote while in the guide. 12 hours via the Forward and Reverse keys.

Nice!

Yes the unit will still record when "Off". ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I agree with all of you but I'd like to add one thing.

I don't like how the green light flashes each time you hit a button on the remote.

I'm sure they did it because for people who think that it is outrageously slow, that in an instance where someone indeed wonders if they did hit the right button, it assures them that they at least hit some button.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Anyone know if runaway fast forward was fixed?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BoboCoder
i record 7 days @ 4 on TNN, knight rider @ 5 on SCIFI, and highlander @ 5 on TNN, every day, and the show is there completly? Also, the other night we recorded the Friends episode that went 5 min over, and it continued to record even recorded an extra 5 min past the scheduled time. Are you saying we loose this with 3.7? cause i'm still at 3.5?
Friends recorded just fine. My shows displayed it as a 35 minute episode.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.