AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone discovered printer support with the 3.7 upgrade? I haven't seen it, although I haven't tried to actually connect the printer I used with my WebTV receiver.

It's not a critical loss, but I really appreciated the ability to print pages occasionally while using the Web functions. Especially for printing commerce receipts, maps, etc. I'm disappointed that I've had the box for nearly two years and still no printer support.

---Karl

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the WebTV receivers, 'Print' was a soft key that appeared after you pressed the Option key. It was a surprisingly rich print driver, with a number of options, and good support for printers (but now mostly obsolete). I had hoped they could just carry that code over from the WebTV platform, but perhaps there were technical compatibility issues. I would also not relish updating the list of printers, testing, etc.

But I really miss it, and it makes me less likely to use the MSNTV browser.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The software in the UTV is completely different from a regular WebTV “Plus†box. I transferred from that (also had a Dishplayer) when I bought the UTV. Not only does it not print (like the Plus) it does not open as many attachments and files as the Plus, did. With all the push to make combination appliances (PVR & satellite receivers & DVD, ect,) MSN dropped the ball again. If they had not installed the inferior WebTV (now MSNTV) software, or had updated it as promised, they would have had a much higher usage of their optional customer pay, unlimited internet service. It may surprise many to know that MSNTV works, and is very viewable on a large screen TV, and printing was very good. Their lack of support and any upgrading just drove me as most to use the computer more. I still use their free three hours of monthly service and e-mail (part of their monthly UTV charge) and use POP mail to view it on my computer. Most will agree that their DVR function and reliability is about the best product produced. But again MSN has left the market. If they were to come out with a new HD UTV DirecTV box I would buy it at once. But that looks rather remote, and we will become TIVO owners instead. Plan to keep my UTV as long as they will let it work and buy the HD TIVO when available, using both and having the best of both worlds!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.