AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have ANY idea on a release date for 3.7 ?? Are we weeks, or dare I say, months away ??

I realize MS won't give us a lot with this new software. I would love to see the sports ticker put back in. It was so RUDELY yanked from 3.5.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the "cool features" are gone, I guess we can only expect a "maintenance" upgrade. If a post I read earlier is true, we will at least be able to move the PIP window to the 4 corners of the TV screen.

I know it would take personnel to maintain some of the features that were shown at last year's CES (remote record, sports ticker, UTV Movies, etc.). I guess a maintenance update is better than none at all !!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
3.7?

Why not 3.6 since we are now on 3.5?

·
Registered
246 Posts
I hope that being able to do a repeating manual record would be considered a "Maintenence Upgrade"!

·
Registered
17,585 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

3.7?

Why not 3.6 since we are now on 3.5?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3.6 may have had a bug that was found and fixed prior to beta testing, therefore the version released would be 3.7. Each time a significant change is made, the version changes. The whole numbers indicate a whole new upgrade, while decimals indicate minor tweeks and bug fixes. There may have even been a change made from beta to the actual release.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope we receive the new software soon. Several times recently I've wanted to move the PIP window (I do have an RCA keyboard, but I can only move it to the lower-left of the screen.)

3.7 will allow you to move it to all 4 corners of the screen.

·
Registered
777 Posts
So lee120 heard Jan. 20, can anyone confirm this date?

Matt

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I doubt it will be January 20. When the software is done, it usuals takes Directv 6-8 weeks to approve the software to be downloaded. This is one of the reason why it took so long for 3.5 to come down even though it was done for a couple of months. I'm guessing we won't see the upgrade until February or March, at the earliest. This time last year we were still waiting on 3.5 which took until April to come out.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hate to pick nits Corey, but this time last year we were waiting for the DTV Spot Beams to go live, which they did at the end of Dec. Then we were waiting for the fix to the Spot Beam problems, which we got in late Jan. The betas for what eventually became 3.5 were still going through Feb. But you are right that once the betas ended it still took 6-8 weeks to get 3.5, in early Apr.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Yankee, nice catch.

·
Registered
327 Posts
"Due to the economics surrounding the technology, UltimateTV has been unable to gain agreement from DirecTV to deploy the service," said the spokesperson

Hmm, so they are having trouble convincing DTV to provide infrastructure and support for this feature?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Because DTV would have to send a code down to the reciever to take care of it, and they probably have trouble budgeting their time between the ECM's, fixining local channels and telling us what freeview event is coming up. It would also require servers to handle the website (and its traffic) to facilitate it, along with support personnel for those servers.

Keith

·
Registered
675 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Staind
"Due to the economics surrounding the technology, UltimateTV has been unable to gain agreement from DirecTV to deploy the service," said the spokesperson

Hmm, so they are having trouble convincing DTV to provide infrastructure and support for this feature?
In other words....someone in Hollywood doesn't like it, or DirecTV sees a large Internet bill. Forget it, it won't happen.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
RangerDoc stated in another thread that 3.7 will be the best release yet (he's a beta tester). Although UTV will have no HARDWARE improvements, there's still a lot of room for good SOFTWARE enhancements. With Tivo's recent announcement of what they'll be showing at CES, I wish MS would bring some great new features to the table for us UTV users.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
There are lots of posts about all these new features to be included in 3.7. While I would welcome such additions, I am a little doubtful of what we might really get.

UTV is a great piece of gear, but practically speaking, a dead piece of gear. No one is making any, and the few firms that still sell are basically in clearance mode.

Why would MS want to play "keep up with the Jones" with Tivo, when they have effectively discontinued their commercial product. Doing maintenance upgrades to accomodate DTV changes in access cards is probably mandatory. But new features for a discontinued product seems a little hard to understand.

Ed

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Most of the stuff coming in 3.7 is cleaning up the code and adding a little minor features (caller id etc etc), nothing major. Hopefully, Microsoft will continue to upgrade UTV or just upgrade it out and just have a team around to fix any bugs that may arise.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.