AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello im new in this kind of stuff i was wondering if i could connect an old 3.8ohm speaker to my smartphone. Do i need an amplifier or can it work without it? The speaker gas 2 wires as usuall thanks in advance

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldaskowka  /t/1522351/3-8-ohm-speaker#post_24476321

Hello im new in this kind of stuff i was wondering if i could connect an old 3.8ohm speaker to my smartphone. Do i need an amplifier or can it work without it? The speaker gas 2 wires as usuall thanks in advance

The Smartphones I know about have headphone jacks that can only supply microscopic amounts of power to speakers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522351/3-8-ohm-speaker#post_24476330

The Smartphones I know about have headphone jacks that can only supply microscopic amounts of power to speakers.
But is it possible? I would add an external power source like batteries im just wondering if my phone fries or no

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by evaldaskowka  /t/1522351/3-8-ohm-speaker#post_24476332

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk  /t/1522351/3-8-ohm-speaker#post_24476330

But is it possible? I would add an external power source like batteries im just wondering if my phone fries or no

Nope, FMW is telling you like it is - you need an amplifier. A lost cost (ca $20-30 ) T-amp might do the job, depending. But don't get tricked into spending a lot of money on the T-amp approach because you can get a full-function 5.1 AVR for change from $100 these days.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-dta-1-class-t-digital-ac-dc-mini-amplifier-15-wpc--300-380

versus

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.