AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at getting a single amp for my surrounds and center channel. Anyone have any recommendations for a quality 3-channel amp? $2K to $5K range?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WR
Bryston 6B-SST comes to mind.

But I am biased.

Take Care
Thanks, I hadn't thought about Bryston. And I've heard good things about them.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Aragon 8008x3. Tremendous power and built like a tank. Last time I had a look at Audiogon one was going for a reasonable price. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the transparency of this amp. Whatever you feed comes out and it would not make your speakers sound any different so expect no colouration.

Best of luck.

-dollarman

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitod
You can get an Earthquake Cinenova Grande 3. Great amp. ;)
This actually looks like an interesting choice. Good reviews, and a great price.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
Aragon 8008x3. Tremendous power and built like a tank. Last time I had a look at Audiogon one was going for a reasonable price. The only thing you need to be mindful of is the transparency of this amp. Whatever you feed comes out and it would not make your speakers sound any different so expect no colouration.

Best of luck.

-dollarman
I see that it's biased close to Class A and runs hot. This amp is going to end up in a Middle Atlantic audio rack so it might not be the best choice for that reason. You say it doesn't "color" the sound. But what about openess? Does it bunch everything up, or does it provide a lot of "air" in between the instruments?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Rutgar -

I'd be careful about placing any high powered amp in the middle of an audio rack. My 3-ch model --one of the ones mentioned here-- sits on top of my rack. I'd either put it there or else maybe at the very bottom with an empty shelf space or two, or fill the empty shelves with CDs, DVDs or decorative crap.

As for recommendations? I won't make any as the timbre of this thread seems to be "I recommend what I have"; though I'm happy with what I have, I haven't comparatively listened to different 3-ch power amps - and there's always debate as if they actually sound different........... (ducking opening bullets)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeaTransfer
Rutgar -

I'd be careful about placing any high powered amp in the middle of an audio rack. My 3-ch model --one of the ones mentioned here-- sits on top of my rack. I'd either put it there or else maybe at the very bottom with an empty shelf space or two, or fill the empty shelves with CDs, DVDs or decorative crap.

As for recommendations? I won't make any as the timbre of this thread seems to be "I recommend what I have"; though I'm happy with what I have, I haven't comparatively listened to different 3-ch power amps - and there's always debate as if they actually sound different........... (ducking opening bullets)
Thanks, Yes I definately have the cooling problem of the rack in mind. Right now I have 3 McIntosh MC-2500's in that rack. But they all have built-in cooling fans, and when the fans are on, run very cool. But they can get pretty toasty if I switch the fans off. One of the reason's I'm looking for a 3-channel amp is so a single unit will replace all three amps in the rack. Although one of them has already been replaced by a pair of Parasound Halo JC-1 Monoblocks, which sit out in my room in between my speakers.

There's no debate on my part on whether or not amps sound different. I believe even the most untrained ear in the country would be able to hear the difference between my JC-1's, and my MC-2500's. Which is another reason on why I'm looking at getting rid of the Macs.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
I see that it's biased close to Class A and runs hot. This amp is going to end up in a Middle Atlantic audio rack so it might not be the best choice for that reason. You say it doesn't "color" the sound. But what about openess? Does it bunch everything up, or does it provide a lot of "air" in between the instruments?
Well it runs hot for sure so if you are short on space you might reconsider. The amp does present a very open and huge sound stage. Also for the first time I could not only differentiate between different instruments playing but I can also hear each stroke of an instrument separately. With my previous setup, specially the high and low frequencies, were muddled up. I guess at this point my speakers are becoming the limiting factor for the amp and I am sure with better speaker it would shine even more.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha
Siginature Series Monster Three Channal Amp. I love mine. :)
+1

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an Acurus By Mondial Design 3 channel amp. Not sure if they still make or even around :) 200x3. Runs very cool too. Pretty happy with it.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dollarman
Well it runs hot for sure so if you are short on space you might reconsider. The amp does present a very open and huge sound stage. Also for the first time I could not only differentiate between different instruments playing but I can also hear each stroke of an instrument separately. With my previous setup, specially the high and low frequencies, were muddled up. I guess at this point my speakers are becoming the limiting factor for the amp and I am sure with better speaker it would shine even more.
Well I'll check it out, along with the other amplifier recommendations as well. I can deal a heat problem easily enough. Even in my rack. The last thing I want to do though, is buy something that isn't any more open than my current Macs. It's really the entire reason I'm upgrading. I really like the sound of my Halo JC-1's. But I can't afford to buy three more of them at $3,500.00 each. Besides, I'm thinking that there are some quality 3-channel amps in my mentioned price range, that will easily fit the bill. And the suggestions here so far, indicate that as well.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyabusha
Siginature Series Monster Three Channal Amp. I love mine. :)
Wow, I am behind the times. I didn't realize that Monster even made amplifiers! And two votes for them as well.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
WPC, left, center, right or you can switch the center meter to display total power for all three.

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutgar
This actually looks like an interesting choice. Good reviews, and a great price.
What's also great is that IF a channel goes bad, you can take out that channel for repair and still use the others! You don't bring the whole amp!
It's a true 3 mono block design. Doesn't get hot either.

Comes shipped in it's own crate.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.