AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im taking the first step into seperates. Im gonna use my Denon AVR 3300 as my pre/pro and not sure about the type of amp. My feeling is, I should probably get a 3 channel amp and use my Denon 3300 to power the rears. Then whenever this happens, Im sure I will probably get a new pre/pro (like the outlaw 950) and then need more amplification. Then again, I could just purchase the Outlaw 770 when it comes out and then I would have two extra channels left over that I could use at a later point in time.

Although my amps in my Denon are far superior then in some receivers, (actual 83 watts X 5 channels driven) I believe I can achieve a better soundstage, head room and push my Klipsch speakers during DTS 5.1 movies like "Saving Private Ryan"

Amps I like so far after hours of research, but I have yet to try are:

Rotel RMB 1095

Acurus 2005

Outlaw 770

Parasound 2205

Im looking for some guidance in my thought process and amp selection. I would like to keep the price of the amp under $2K.

Thank you in advance I look forward to everyones input.

Klipsch Reference all around

SVS 20-39 PC sub

Denon AVR 3300

Sony 300 disc ES changer

Toshiba DVD

Toshiba VCR

Newpoint surge protector

Toshiba 32 in TV

I have alot of upgrading to do!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Another to consider, well within budget, would be the Anthem MCA-5 Series II.

Or, if you really want to rock the joint, check in with Cinepro http://www.cinepro.com and see if they still have some 2k5 Series IIs left. That would be major league excellent for under US$2K.

Regards,

·
Registered
420 Posts
Well id just like to put my two cents worth in.

Personally I would go for a 5 channel amp so all are matched.

You may find in time you may wish to change your receiver into a straight preamp processor. Something alittle better.

Or you may end up changing your speakers. Always go for more power than you actually need. Within reason. Once youve bought a power amp if you need extra power for the reason of say diferent speakers or going to larger room. Then having the reserve will help you.

I could suggest adcom gfa 7500 quite reasonable specks 5x150

retails for about 1500.00 you should be able to pick it up for about 1200.00

I have one and its quite good.

ben:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the replies. I think I what I may do is this... I will probably go with the Outlaw 770 if priced at what they say there are going to price it at. That way I have 200 X 5 which is plenty of power to drive any speaker combo and give plenty of head room.

Years down the road if I need to upgrade my receiver to a pre/pro or add speakers, I have a 7.1 amplifier to meet my needs.

I do like adcom, but they have not received good press in the last 3 yrs or so.

Thanks for your input and Im surprised that more people did not give their 2 cents

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would go with a 5-7 channel amp, the money you might save on a 3 channel is not terribly much and you would not have a consistant sound stage due to different amps running various speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.