AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently got a good deal on a onkyo 885 to replace my broken marantz sr-18 receiver. That means I now have to get an amplifier(s) for my center and two rear channels. I would like to put about 1500 bucks on this but if there something a lot better for a little more I will consider it.

I did some research and found a couple solutions that looked like pretty good deals:

There's an ATI 2505 (would get me extra channels for eventual 7.1) for about 1k, a Anthem MCA-30 (new) for 900, or 3 outlaw m2200 monoblocks.

My current setup:

Fronts: B&W N803 (alu) + Bryston 4B

Pro: Onkyo 885

Center: B&W NHTM1

Surrounds: Can't remember the model and I can't find them on B&W site, but they are basically shallower, wall mountable 805S...like the SCMS but with the external tweeter. So I guess they can be considered as having the same specs as the 805.

Anyway I'm a bit confused so any recommendation would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well from their site they don't seem to ship to canada (that's from checkout). Average shipping to canada for amps these sizes tend to be around 100 bucks from what I saw on ebay etc..nothing unreasonable.

Are they that good? Better than the anthem or the outlaw option?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune /forum/post/17021007

Well from their site they don't seem to ship to canada (that's from checkout). Average shipping to canada for amps these sizes tend to be around 100 bucks from what I saw on ebay etc..nothing unreasonable.

Isnt there a couple XPA-3s in the AVS classified? If there still is you should ask if they ship to Canada.

I have 7 Outlaw Monoblocks and the Outlaw 7075. I have also had the XPA-5 and the LPA-1 from Emotiva. Yes, Emotiva is JUST as good! None are better, just all do the job they are supose too.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune /forum/post/17021007

Yes they are that good. And as for as shipping to Canada I didn't read anything in their shipping policy that would be problem. See below, as this is from their FAQ page.

http://emotiva.com/international_orders.pdf

·
Registered
164 Posts
Do you do any multi-channel music listening? If so, I'd consider using the three channel amp for the front soundstage instead of center & surrounds. If you don't mind used & slightly older, an Aragon 8008x3 is pretty hard to beat. It will drive anything, & is pretty comparable in build/sound quality to the Bryston you have now. Price shoud be in the neighborhood of 1K USD.

-Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHolland /forum/post/17021230

Do you do any multi-channel music listening? If so, I'd consider using the three channel amp for the front soundstage instead of center & surrounds. If you don't mind used & slightly older, an Aragon 8008x3 is pretty hard to beat. It will drive anything, & is pretty comparable in build/sound quality to the Bryston you have now. Price shoud be in the neighborhood of 1K USD.

-Dave

I rarely do music listening on multiple channels, which is why I think going with a moderately priced amp is a good idea. Shouldn't make that much a difference for HT duty. Thanks for the suggestion about the aragon. Can't really find any though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggunnell /forum/post/17021424

We covered affordable 3-channel amps pretty thoroughly in this recent thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1150350

Thanks for the link, I saw someone suggest the Anthem amp I was considering (MCA-30 for about 900$ shipped), is the emotiva still the better deal?

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the link, I saw someone suggest the Anthem amp I was considering (MCA-30 for about 900$ shipped), is the emotiva still the better deal?

Yes but the shipping to Canada might be impossible?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune /forum/post/17021691

Well emotiva ships internationally (I didn't know before). The anthem is 900$ shipped to my door.

If they ship UPS you'll get a bill in the mail after you receive the amp for at least 25% of the original bill...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Emotiva ships to Canada, i have bought several pieces from them. They like to use Fedex for shipping and will quote you the entire shipping amount (including customs and taxes) to your door. You prepay the entire amount along with the product price before hand, so there is no extra payment required when it shows up.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I would XPA-5 and run as a three channel myself.

I am buying Emo as soon as the new XMC comes out in fall.

Jeff

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright I think I'll go with the emotiva (just waiting for my quote). Any difference in sound between the xpa2 and xpa3? Because I could go with two (one for the rears, one for center channel) xpa2 and still be within my budget. Thing is that HTM1 is very power hungry and I don't want to get the xpa3 and have nowhere left to go from there if I don't like the sound. Going from the Marantz SR-18 (one of the very best sounding receivers at the time) and the Bryston on my 803's made quite a difference, and the HTM1 is basically a 803 laid on its side...

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune /forum/post/17023003

Alright I think I'll go with the emotiva (just waiting for my quote). Any difference in sound between the xpa2 and xpa3? Because I could go with two (one for the rears, one for center channel) xpa2 and still be within my budget. Thing is that HTM1 is very power hungry and I don't want to get the xpa3 and have nowhere left to go from there if I don't like the sound. Going from the Marantz SR-18 (one of the very best sounding receivers at the time) and the Bryston on my 803's made quite a difference, and the HTM1 is basically a 803 laid on its side...
http://uk.cinenow.com/products/2996-nautilus-htm1

This HTM1 or the new huge HTM1?

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
isnt anthem a canadian company? why no love for the anthem? no shipping issues, great specs, and a company with a long proven track record for making great products...

not that there is anything wrong with the others but if it were me and I were in canada id go for the anthem if not only for avoiding the shipping concerns...there sure is alotta emotiva hype on this forum...

·
Registered
472 Posts
lapune look at the xpa 5 stats in three channel mode

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.