AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
The Panasonic PT7600 was on display at the CEDIA Expo. It looked quite good despite being shown on a large screen (~15 feet wide?) with a ton of ambient light. For smaller screens, however, I would go for a single chip DLP (if you are not bothered by the colour separation artifacts) or a JVC DILA. The most impressive thing about this projector was that it represents a significant price and size reduction for 3 chip DLP projectors. If this trend accelerates, maybe we will have 3 chip DLPs available for under 15K within a couple of years.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CINERAMAX
Here is the spec sheet, boy oh boy finally we have been delivered from Rainbows and limited color gamut.

hold the boat. I can see rainbows on the three chip units. Likely others can too. It is harder to see than one chip units, but it IS there for some. I'm not the only one to report seeing this artifact on 3 chip units.

To be fair I can also see rainows on CRTs. D-ILA so far is the only projectors I have never seen the rainbow artifact.

I recognize how the persistence of image theory works with CRT and the phosfers but I still clueless about 3 chippers. I'm not concerned though because LCoS is likely my future.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
No way Jose, 3 chips is as close to reality as it comes.

The color wheel is the reason for rainbows, you can see rainbows anywhere you please, but I am certainly not going to see them in 3 chip.

I have been hooked on 3 chip since 11/97. This addiction is one to trigger powerful instantaneous sensory memory SHOCK. Once you see it youre home

I can tell the difference between one chip and 3 chip a mile away.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by James Bond
I've seen the best 3 chip dlps and i'll take a three gun crt any day.
James:

Which 3-chip units have you seen?

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
There are plusses and minusses on 3 chip vs 9 inch crt, the 9 inch being perhaps more film like if prperly set, still I am addicted to 3 chip dlp.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you see rainbows on 3-chip DLPs and CRT FPTVs my suggestion is to cut back on your medication dosage. ;D

People rarely mention that LCD and LCOS/D-ILA FPTVs are "3-chip" models as well, with comparable resolution capability.

The only advantages for DLP is better pixel gap than LCD, and better contrast out of the box than LCD or D-ILA. But this is often fixed with calibration for D-ILA FPTVs, so I can't see the extra cost justification.

Especially with the newest generation of high contrast projectors coming out, and 1000:1 contrast, 1080p native, LCOS FPTVs due out next year.

-Dean.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Happy New Year Frank!

Simply because the mirrors are refelective while DILA is transmissive (ie> it is extremely expensive to make the transmission effect "Transparent").

That makes 3 chip dlp the most honest in color throughout.Ask any 3 chip dlp addict that. 3 chip can therefore recreate reality like a sunset in tahiti, with much more effectively than even film can. For the film buff maybe DILA is ok. But we try to recreate reality first, as the films will be taken care of as well.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Quote:
Simply because the mirrors are refelective while DILA is transmissive
I thought that although LCD is reflective, DILA is reflective. Correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Yes, that was my understanding as well.

It seems to me that what DLP has going for it is linearity. Since DLP uses PWM to control light intensity, it is a very linear device. You want IRE 45, you got it---just dial in a 45% duty cycle for the mirrors. That probably makes it easier to keep the color tracking well-calibrated. Of course the potential disadvantage is the temporal noise that PWM introduces, but with a 3-chip that should be only 1/3 as much noise as a 1-chip.

On the other hand, I imagine that DILA is probably a bit more nonlinear, and requires clean, precise electronics to dial in the desired intensities.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
The DILA is both Transmisive (in the WRITING) but reflective in the Displaying. Once accustomed to the 3 chipper DLP ther is no going back.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
Peter

hi

when do you expect 3dlps to reach $10K if any, for consumers ? I think they won't anytime soon. even high end CRTs never dropped in price.

yet, 3DLP are noisier and imho require a dedicated boot. but if you can do it, it's indeed great! I remember when I saw in november 2001 the Panasonic 9610 on a 15ft screen with 1080i material: lifelike! http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat...pt-d9610u.html

what 3DLP need now more than anything else is 1920x1080 minimum.

3820x2160 would be great for digital cinema :) (for 30ft screens, larger screens would require even more resolution).

Frank: happy new year to you too!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
DILA is definitely reflective. If I recall, the backside light used to draw the reflected image is abosrbed in a blocking layer so that vitually all of the light that arrives on the screen is from the reflected frontside surface. DILA should offer just as good color rendition as DLP.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.