AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1 - X1 is $1000 - which includes all the optics, lamps, electronics etc for 3 complete projectors.

Why can't they be combined into one box as a 3-chip DLP for the same cost as 3, seperate X1's? ($3000)

I'm just curious why there aren't any 3-chip DLP's out there - except in the mega-high price range. What is the challenge of going to the 3-chip model?

Looking for some tech responses here.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I would think the optics would have to be far more precise to get all three chips to line up perfectly. On the other hand, there's no color wheels to deal with. If you stacked X1s you would only get more brightness and more washed out grays. Good for a 200" screen, perhaps.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I agree the modify three X1s to get a three chip DLP machine has been discussed to death, (at least one thread a week since it came out). But I don't think that it was bigwo2000's question. Ithink his question is

X1=1K

3 x X1 =3K

then why does

3DLP= 20K+

and can anyone build a

3DLP

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
exactly right Anthony -- I know the whole "stacking X1" thing has been brought up about a thousand times.

This is more of a loaded question - basically asking, how does a 3 chip DLP work and why is it so damn costly?

Or, is it actually not that costly, but folks just aren't doing it yet.

·
Registered
17,711 Posts
I think it is probably a bit of both.

1) 3chip costs a lot more to produce, so cannot be as cheap like 3x X1

2) if it will be mid to high range, then no one would want a SVGa projector, so you need to use the most current chips

3) they are more expensive then the SVGA DLP chips so price goes up

4) now you are a high priced luxury item, can't sale as much, so to recoup their costs the price goes up again

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Things only a few people will pay for -- regardless of price -- should be priced high. Especially when they are indeed hard to build.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
(1) I am fairly certain TI charges quite a bit more for the chipset and 3 DMD kit to build these.

(2) The light path is much more complicated. DLP needs a "light trap" to throw away the "off" light, unlike LCD or LCOS. This is annoying with a 1-chip design and very obnoxious with a 3-chip design.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
3 stacked x1s isn't a very good idea. (in my opinion).

I'll start with the positives:

- Higher brightness (3x more), larger screen applications

- getting rid of rainbows is a possibility.

Negatives:

-you are still stuck at 800 x 600

-too much screendoor for large screen applications

-you would be paying 3 x more now for changing lamps

-converging the image would become problematic (no lens shift)

-3 times noisier

-no contrast improvement

basically for $3000, if you don't like rainbows, just get a Sony HS10 or a Sanyo PLV-70. 1366 x 768 resolution. much less visible pixellation. they are brighter too. and because it is lcd, no rainbows! the only thing the x1 is better (maybe) is the contrast. they claim 2000:1 but realily is under 1000:1. the actual contrast of the x1 is about equal to the plv-z1, which I saw side by side.

James

·
Premium Member
25,367 Posts
The complex and costly optics needed to split and precisely recombine the light into 3 paths. This is more complicated with reflective than transmissive (LCD) designs.

Darn, my resolve crumbled.

"-no contrast improvement"

That's actually better than the CR reduction 3-chip has.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.