AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SOme of you read my other post about 3-chip DLP and HDTV. Well I could not sleep so I got up and turned on this behemoth (AMpro ALice 5000 MX)

This time I connected just my TOshiba 5109 in interlaced mode. THE 3 chip DLP seems to behave like a CRT. You don;t get that digital look and the straight feed looked fabulous..

NO RAINBOW and plenty of color..but not just plenty of color plenty of Natural color..today my old CAssini arrives (HTPC 800X 600) and I simply can;t imagine how good it will look.

This thing is not really user frinedly its 100lbs big hot noisy...but I plan to mount it in my Stable when constrution is done

Unfortunately this technology is very pricey but I prefer it even over DILA and CRT...CRT simply on screen size and brightness...If JVC can make a $10,000 retail...DILA why can't someone make a $10,000 3-chip DLP???maybe its coming soon...frankly the 800X600 appears to be more than adequate

for a stunning image...

Regards,

John

·
Registered
111 Posts
I can't see how a 10,000$ 3-chip DLP projector can be built, while there are so many single chip DLP projectors selling at a higher price.

I see it not possible, not in the near future.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bob Wood:

Could you please tell me the make and model of the DVD player that costs $260 and has a Faroudja de-interlacer.

Thank you.

------------------

cai

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Krimi,

You took Robert's lunch money. BTW though I bet eh Skyworth would make this AMPRO sing as I think it has a VGA out if I remember correctly.

ALan have you hooked up the Skyworth to your 3-chip???IF so let us know

Regards,

John

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay,

Im going to build a 3-chip DLP 800:1 contrast HDTV ready...

1500 ANSI...

This AMRPO is rated at 1300 ANSI..I am watching it right now in a naturally lit room on a MAtte white screen...clearly brighter than a new 1 chip Lp340 rated at 1300 ANSI and my lamp has 1300 hours on it and should be at 50% of original brightness.

This has been my first experience with a 3 chip DLP other than large venue viewing or Trade shows..It looks like my RPTV Hitachi Ultravision FDX 43" IT is that good. Granted the biggest drawback is price...which is a toughy I might have to crack open the grayhawk and test it tonight..Oboy..

Regards,

John

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi John,

This sounds great. What kind of bulb does it require? Are they expensive?

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Milori,

Might bump into you at Infocomm.

The lamp has a dealer cost of $1121 so as expected it is exspensive but the image is so good I really don't care. THis is a used unit without warranty so the clock is ticking.

This particular 3-CHip does not have the contrast ratio as say a calibrated G11 or above but it is certainly respectable and I have not used the Grayhawk yet or even really began to maximize its potential.

THe DILA is a sharper image even on HD but this is a very natural filmlike image. I am a convert to the 3-chip DLP technology but not dropping $40k on the new NEC 5000 anytime soon. All of the projectors frequently discussed on this forum from $2500-$40,000 all have their issues.

I'll post about my experience with the Cassini and the Ampro maybe tonight...It is an older model but matches the native resolution of the projector so it should be spectacular.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
John,

Be careful. When larry Davis got in his 3-chip

Vista Pro it had higher than the rated hours on the

lamp but was still working too. He bought a new

replacement lamp and installed it. Bam - no more

picture. If I remember right (he can verify this)

they told him that running the lamp well beyond

it's rated life had damaged the lamp ballast. The

new lamp then caused the ballast to take a dump.

And the ballast was very expensive to replace.

Bob

·
Premium Member
16,973 Posts
Glad you are enjoying your 3 chip dlp.

There is something about the picture these things throw that are very realistic looking.

My unit is currently at a friends house. Cant wait to get it back.

The picture is so good on these things the 800x600 resolution does not bother me.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.