AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, title says it all. What are your thoughts on a used 3 chip DLP even if its 720p ??? Am i insane ??? What machines back in 2010ish whould be good search worthy, Sim2 ect....... ( Yes, i did give 3 gun projectors a thought, but i cant Lol ) ( a five year old 720p machine is bad enough )

This would be for a 100x42 inch, CIH 95% HT use. I hate TV and cinemascope movie are all i watch. I use an old dual prism A-lens, CAVX MKII

I cant stand SDE or RBE ! Total deal breaker. The used 1080p 3 chips are still over $10K used, way way out of my league, but 720p is doable cost wise

No interest in 4K or 3D, upconverted 120hz to Daytime Soap Digital Video look are also deal breakers !!!!

KG

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Why not an older JVC like an RS1. The contrast ratio on the commercial 3 chip christie's are a dismal 500:1 and the Bulbs are only good for 1000hrs @ $1000+ a pop and they usually don't come with lens. Of course if you need a 5000+ lu projector the JVC's are rather dim.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
3 chip DLP's have little advantage in the home arena over other 3 panel technologies (like LCoS, LCD...etc). They generally are used in theaters because they can be used for long periods of time with rather bright lamps (needed for really big theater size screens) without wear to things like polarizers and such. If you want no SDE go with LCoS, which has a very small pixel pitch (I'd say better than my dark chip 3 DLP). What's your budget?

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not an older JVC like an RS1. The contrast ratio on the commercial 3 chip christie's are a dismal 500:1 and the Bulbs are only good for 1000hrs @ $1000+ a pop and they usually don't come with lens. Of course if you need a 5000+ lu projector the JVC's are rather dim.
I will look into the JVC, Ty

3 chip DLP's have little advantage in the home arena over other 3 panel technologies (like LCoS, LCD...etc). They generally are used in theaters because they can be used for long periods of time with rather bright lamps (needed for really big theater size screens) without wear to things like polarizers and such. If you want no SDE go with LCoS, which has a very small pixel pitch (I'd say better than my dark chip 3 DLP). What's your budget?
LCD=SDE, (1)DLP= RBE, i understand its not 100%, but i dont want either. I always see both....unfortunately :0/
LCoS is quite an option, budget as always, shifts with performance...
TY also for your input!

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Can you share your budget?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
under $2K
If you can do exactly 2k, see if you can find any local dealers around you with a Sony 40ES (LCoS) for $1,999... Or, if you don't mind risking a non-authorized dealer, look online for them. That projector will easily blow the 777 out of the water.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
The projectors you are looking at are super inflated on the used market if you ask me. I'd get a Sony 40 or panny on the cheap.

Double your budget for a Jvc if you want comparable black levels to your xtra

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The projectors you are looking at are super inflated on the used market if you ask me. I'd get a Sony 40 or panny on the cheap.

Double your budget for a Jvc if you want comparable black levels to your xtra
I gotta agree, they do seem a bit pricey for used. The Sony 40 seems to crop up in every

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Go Lcos then, you can turn off all the digital enhancements and get s smooth film like picture.
I'd get a Sony 40 or panny on the cheap.
Looks like this is the overwhelming choice, based on price and all my needs, thanx guys.

One more question. I've seen prices vary and i guess i dont quite understand the warranty issue. Does it matter where i get a new one. Wont sony give a 3 year warranty.

If im doing CIH can a use a memory in the Sony that gives me the vertical stretch i need. Rumor is XBMC/Kodi isnt capable as i read it......this is for 99% CinemaScope movie watching so the Lens will remain in place and that memory will almost always be used. In my old system i use to just squeeze HDTV......

I havent touched on this, but the room will be dedicated and completely light controled :0)

·
867 Posts
The OP was asking about circa 2010 three chip DLP 720P projectors by the likes of SIM2. Going by projector central the SIM2 Grand Cinema C3X-E first shipped 2007 and earlier SIM2 three chip 720P projectors around 2005 so they are quite old second hand projectors and depending on how well used they might not last. In the UK where I live looking at ebay completed listings in good working condition they now sell second hand for as little as £600 about $800. Still due to being risk averse personally I would not buy a second hand projector unless I was spending money I could afford to throw away as it is a gamble as to the condition of the projector and how long it lasts and buyer beware.

Out of interest have any of those posting that three chip DLP has no advantage or is dismal or would be blown away by a cheap LCD or LCOS projector actually seen a well set up three chip DLP 720p SIM2 projector like a SIM2 Grand Cinema C3X or SIM2 HT500E, while they are old they were expensive in their day and the C3X was I think highly regarded in its day, and the SIM2 three chip projectors generally more highly regarded than their competitors three chip DLP projectors. Has picture quality really advanced so much that they are now considered poor?

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The OP was asking about circa 2010 three chip DLP 720P projectors by the likes of SIM2. Going by projector central the SIM2 Grand Cinema C3X-E first shipped 2007 and earlier SIM2 three chip 720P projectors around 2005 so they are quite old second hand projectors and depending on how well used they might not last. In the UK where I live looking at ebay completed listings in good working condition they now sell second hand for as little as £600 about $800. Still due to being risk averse personally I would not buy a second hand projector unless I was spending money I could afford to throw away as it is a gamble as to the condition of the projector and how long it lasts and buyer beware.

Out of interest have any of those posting that three chip DLP has no advantage or is dismal or would be blown away by a cheap LCD or LCOS projector actually seen a well set up 3 dlp chip 720p SIM2 projector like a SIM2 Grand Cinema C3X or SIM2 HT500E, while they are old they were expensive in their day and the C3X was I think highly regarded in its day, and the SIM2 three chip projectors generally more highly regarded than their competitors three chip DLP projectors. Has picture quality really advanced so much that they are now considered poor?

Yes, the original post was me reaching out for advice on older 3chip machines. I didn't think my list of needs could be met by less exspensive units. Seems once I began my list, they were met with discussion on each, such as RBE, SDE, DigitalVideo upconverting effects...... Seems unanimous that a LCoS met all my needs. The Sony40 met my cost needs and the whole list of issues....

I'm sure they will chime in if I missed a point. My desire was to meet my needs and now with a new machine that I thought wasn't possible in my price range. I was ready to search out an old machine even a 720p type, but seems we've turned a corner from the OP........Thanx for dialing back the discussion incase we were getting off in another direction which does happen on the forums time to time.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I've been using an infocus 777 for the past couple of years, and in that time I have either borrowed or bought and sold a benq 7000, runco ls3, jvc x70, jvc 4910, Sony 55, and epson 6030 and even with the modern strengths of these pjs I still prefer the image that the 777 provides for my needs. The HDTV on the 777 is phenomenal, and bluray is stunning. I'm using a 110" diagnal screen and I sit 14' from the screen.the lens in the 777 cost more than some of the projectors that I mentioned above:)

When the runco ls 12 is very affordable then I will replace my 777, but for now it works great, and lamps are 100bucks on ebay.

I still find myself blown away by the image.

So I don't mislead you, I have been a dlp owner for the past 12 years
Infocus 7200, 7205,7210 and now 777
So dlp is what I'm used too, and although I appreciate aspects of the other technology's at the end of the day dlp just does it for me.

Others may feel different.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I've been using an infocus 777 for the past couple of years, and in that time I have either borrowed or bought and sold a benq 7000, runco ls3, jvc x70, jvc 4910, Sony 55, and epson 6030 and even with the modern strengths of these pjs I still prefer the image that the 777 provides for my needs. The HDTV on the 777 is phenomenal, and bluray is stunning. I'm using a 110" diagnal screen and I sit 14' from the screen.the lens in the 777 cost more than some of the projectors that I mentioned above:)

When the runco ls 12 is very affordable then I will replace my 777, but for now it works great, and lamps are 100bucks on ebay. Oh snap, only component video...

So dlp is what I'm used too, and although I appreciate aspects of the other technology's at the end of the day dlp just does it for me.

Thanx, that was well written and shows quite clear you enjoy DLP, i as well ! So, 3chips and no colorwheel, i wish i could see one in person.......

For now i will rely on the observations of others and continue my search. With a 777 going for a grand or so on the used market, its still in the running. Infocus is still doing their own repairs/service ?

·
Registered
3,355 Posts

When the runco ls 12 is very affordable then I will replace my 777, but for now it works great, and lamps are 100bucks on ebay.

10 year old darkchip 3 projector vs. a 4910.

I'm calling bs man. I simply don't beleive that.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
10 year old darkchip 3 projector vs. a 4910.

I'm calling bs man. I simply don't beleive that.
Thats how he feels, its all about opinion. I dont think he said 2+2=5, he just likes the look of a 3chip DLP....

Anyone gotta 3chip DLP i could look at in the Upstate NY area....

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Thats how he feels, its all about opinion. I dont think he said 2+2=5, he just likes the look of a 3chip DLP....

Anyone gotta 3chip DLP i could look at in the Upstate NY area....

Eeeh, I don't think its so simple. While there are definite taste differences between projectors, I simply don't believe he bought a Jvc, and then took it down and replaced it with a 777.

It's like running a pentium II because you prefer Windows to run like crap.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts